Complex Integration Homework: Evaluate Intergral Gamma (y)dz

In summary, the given integral is to be evaluated along an L-shaped path, with the first line segment from 0 to i and the second from i to i+2. The integrand, y(z), is not specified. To solve, the integral should be split up into two separate integrals along each line segment, with the appropriate substitutions for z and dz.
kmeado07

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following intergral:

Homework Equations

Intergral from gamma of (y)dz, where gamma is the union of the line segments joining 0 to i and then i to i+2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this!

Physics news on Phys.org
kmeado07 said:
Intergral from gamma of (y)dz, where gamma is the union of the line segments joining 0 to i and then i to i+2

Hi kmeado07! :smile:

(have a gamma: Γ :wink:)

Γ is an L-shaped path …

just integrate along each bit of it separately.

(but what is y? :confused:)

Presumably, if you are expected to do a problem like this, you know something about path integrals. The line from 0 to i, in the complex plane, can be written as z= (1+i)t where t ranges from 0 to 1. The line from i to i+ 2 can be written as z= (1+ t)+ i where, again, t ranges from 0 to 1. Do those two integrals separately with z replace by those and dz by (1+i)dt in the first integral and by dt in the second.

Unfortunately, you see to have forgotten to say what the integrand, y(z), is!

FAQ: Complex Integration Homework: Evaluate Intergral Gamma (y)dz

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is the extension of the concept of integration from real numbers to complex numbers.

2. What is the Gamma function?

The Gamma function, denoted by Γ, is a special function in mathematics that is an extension of the factorial function to complex numbers. It is defined as the integral of the exponential function over the real line.

3. How do you evaluate a complex integral?

To evaluate a complex integral, one must first find the appropriate contour (path) in the complex plane and then use the Cauchy Integral Formula to calculate the value of the integral. This involves finding the singularities and residues of the integrand and using them in the formula.

4. What is the significance of the Gamma function in complex integration?

The Gamma function is often used in complex integration as it simplifies the calculations and allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also has many important applications in fields such as physics, statistics, and number theory.

5. Can the integral of the Gamma function be computed numerically?

Yes, the integral of the Gamma function can be approximated numerically using various numerical integration methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. However, for more accurate results, it is usually computed using specialized software or programming languages such as MATLAB or Python.

Back