Complex integration no Residue Theory everything else is ok

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of $\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{z}}{z^2}dz$ and the use of the parametric equation $z(\theta)=e^{i\theta}$ on the unit circle counterclockwise. The solution is found to be $f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}iz^n\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{e^{(n + 1)i\theta}}d\theta = 0, \ \forall n\geq 0$, which is verified by the fact that the integral of $\frac{1
Dustinsfl
$$
\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{z}}{z^2}dz
$$

How would this be integrated?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{\bar{z}}{z^2}dz
$$

How would this be integrated?

Hi dwsmith,

What is the path of integration?

Unit circle counterclockwise

dwsmith said:
Unit circle counterclockwise

Then the parametric equation of the curve would be,

\[C:~ z(\theta)=e^{i\theta};0\leq x\leq2\pi\]

\[dz=ie^{i\theta}d\theta\]

\[\therefore\int_{C}\frac{\bar{z}}{z^2}dz=\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{e^{-i\theta}}{e^{2i\theta}}ie^{i\theta}d\theta=i\int_{0}^{2\pi}e^{-2i\theta}d\theta=0\]

Sudharaka said:
Then the parametric equation of the curve would be,

\[C:~ z(\theta)=e^{i\theta};0\leq x\leq2\pi\]

\[dz=ie^{i\theta}d\theta\]

\[\therefore\int_{C}\frac{\bar{z}}{z^2}dz=\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{e^{-i\theta}}{e^{2i\theta}}ie^{i\theta}d\theta=i\int_{0}^{2\pi}e^{-2i\theta}d\theta=0\]

I wasn't thinking.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

So to expand on this problem,

$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}iz^n\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{e^{(n + 1)i\theta}}d\theta = 0, \ \forall n\geq 0.
$$
Therefore, $f(z) = 0$

This would be correct then?

dwsmith said:
I wasn't thinking.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

So to expand on this problem,

$$
f(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}iz^n\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{e^{(n + 1)i\theta}}d\theta = 0, \ \forall n\geq 0.
$$
Therefore, $f(z) = 0$

This would be correct then?

Should be. Because,

\[\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{1}{e^{(n+1)i\theta}}d\theta= \int^{2\pi}_{0}e^{-(n+1)i\theta}d\theta=\left[\frac{e^{-(n+1)i\theta}}{-i(n+1)}\right]_{0}^{2\pi}=0\]

Related to Complex integration no Residue Theory everything else is ok

What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical technique used to calculate the integral of a complex-valued function over a complex contour. It involves treating the complex domain as an extension of the real domain and using the properties of complex numbers to evaluate the integral.

What is Residue Theory?

Residue Theory is a powerful tool in complex analysis that allows us to evaluate complex integrals by using the residues (singularities) of a function. It states that the value of a contour integral is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the contour.

What is the importance of Residue Theory in complex integration?

Residue Theory is important in complex integration because it simplifies the calculation process by reducing the complex integral to a sum of residues. This makes it easier to evaluate and can also help in solving complex problems that are difficult to solve using other methods.

What are the limitations of Residue Theory?

Residue Theory is limited to integrals that can be evaluated using the Cauchy's Residue Theorem. It also requires the function to have singularities within the contour of integration. If the function does not have any singularities, then Residue Theory cannot be applied.

How is Residue Theory related to other complex analysis techniques?

Residue Theory is a part of complex analysis and is closely related to other techniques such as Cauchy's Integral Theorem and Cauchy's Integral Formula. These techniques are used to evaluate complex integrals and have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.