Complex integration over a square contour

In summary, the function has a pole of order 2 at z=-1. The poles are removable and the contour is analytic everywhere else on and inside the Gamma region.
bjohnson2001

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\Gamma[/itex] be the square whose sides have length 5, are parallel to the real and imaginary axis, and the center of the square is i. Compute the integral of the following function over [itex]\Gamma[/itex] in the counter-clockwise direction. You must use two different methods to solve the problem in order to receive full credit. Show all work.

[itex]\frac{e^{z}}{(z^{2} + 2*z + 1)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Residue for pole of order 2: [itex]Res(f(z),z_{0}) = \stackrel{lim}{_{z \rightarrow z_{0}}}\frac{d}{dz}(z-z_{0})^{2}*f(z)[/itex]

Residue Theorem: [itex]\oint_{C} f(z)dz = i2\pi\sum(Residues) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

When we rewrite the equation as: [itex]\frac{e^{z}}{(z+1)^{2}}[/itex] we can see that there is a pole of order 2 at z = -1. Since the singularities only have Real components, the function is meromorphic and the poles are isolated. The [itex]\Gamma[/itex] contour is analytic everywhere else on and inside [itex]\Gamma[/itex] so the poles are removable and we can use the Residue theorem to perform the integration.

First calculate the Residues: [itex]Res(f(z),z_{0}) = \stackrel{lim}{_{z \rightarrow -1}}\frac{d}{dz}((z+1)^{2}*\frac{e^{z}}{(z+1)^{2}})[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{e}[/itex]

Now we can use the Residue theorem to perform the integration:

[itex]\oint_{C} \frac{e^{z}}{(z+1)^{2}} = i2\pi\frac{1}{e} = i2.3115 [/itex]

----

I am absolutely stuck on finding a second method to solve this problem! I thought maybe I could parametrize it but no symbolic integration exists for this function. I tried integration by parts, the int() function in MATLAB and my TI-89 all without success. The quad() function in MATLAB succeeded but unfortunately my prof is not allowing numeric integration methods..

Please help!

Attachments

• figured.png
    figured.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 562
Physics news on Phys.org
Doing contour integrals isn't only "other way" around. And I'll agree that looks hard. How about if you shift the variable of integration to z'=z+1. Why can you do this? Now you've got exp(z'-1)/(z')^2. That's (1/e)*exp(z')/(z')^2. Now expand exp(z') in a power series and look for the 1/z' term. Is that enough of an "other way"?

bjohnson2001 said:
I am absolutely stuck on finding a second method to solve this problem! !

You know, there's another singular point right? Why not integrate "around" it and compute it's residue and equate the integral over the box to the integral around this singular point.

OK I just heard about the following hint that came from the prof:

set [itex]z = ε e^{it}[/itex]

Maybe this is an alternate way to compute the residue method? I cannot find this in my textbooks

. . . bet a dollar he wants you to use the residue at infinity for the second approach. I don't know about you, but that's what I'm turning in for the second one.

I'm with you, but I am unfamiliar with the technique. How is this accomplished?

If a function is analytic in the finite plane except for a finite number of singular points inside a closed contour (like yours is) then you can use the residue at infinity to evaluate the integral around a closed contour:

[tex]\oint_C f(z)dz=2\pi i\; \text{Res}\;\left[\frac{1}{z^2}f\left(\frac{1}{z}\right),0\right][/tex]

You can do that right? Just plug it all in, make that 1/z substitution, then make like you're taking the residue at z=0. That's the function at the value of 1/z ok? Gonna' get a little involved with a double product of infinite series to figure out what the residue of e^(1/z) is but just do the first few, extract the 1/z terms, notice the sequence, and you already know what the answer is so you'll know what that infinite sum is.

Thanks, I will give this a shot

Related to Complex integration over a square contour

1. What is complex integration over a square contour?

Complex integration over a square contour is the process of calculating the integral of a complex function over a square-shaped path or contour in the complex plane. It involves breaking down the contour into smaller segments and evaluating the integral over each segment.

2. Why is a square contour often used for complex integration?

A square contour is often used for complex integration because it allows for easier evaluation of the integral. The sides of a square are straight lines, making it simpler to calculate the length and the angle of each segment. This helps in breaking down the contour into smaller, more manageable segments for integration.

3. How is complex integration over a square contour different from other types of integration?

Complex integration over a square contour is different from other types of integration, such as real integration, because it involves working with complex numbers. This means that the integrand (the function being integrated) and the limits of integration are complex numbers, requiring the use of complex arithmetic and techniques such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

4. What are the applications of complex integration over a square contour in science?

Complex integration over a square contour has various applications in science, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, among others. It also has applications in finding the solutions to differential equations and in calculating complex-valued line integrals.

5. What are some challenges in performing complex integration over a square contour?

Some challenges in performing complex integration over a square contour include accurately determining the length and angle of each segment, dealing with singularities or branch cuts of the integrand, and choosing the appropriate contour for a given function. It also requires a good understanding of complex arithmetic and integration techniques, making it more challenging than real integration.