Complex integration: which path should i choose?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with integration involving a complex analysis course. The problem was solved using the residue theorem and the Jordan lemma. The conversation also touched on the use of the lower and upper planes in integration and the importance of direction in the residue theorem. The conversation ended with a comment on the importance of finding and correcting mistakes, even if they are from a long time ago. The summary concludes with a compliment to the student for their dedication to problem-solving.
CGH
Hi there,

this is a problem I'm having since last year, and should be "very easy", and i guess it is.
3 long years ago i took the complex analysis course, and I've used so little of it until now, that i almost forgot everything of it.

The problem is this, I have the following integration:
[tex]
I(x)={\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dk}{2\pi}\frac{e^{ikx}}{k^2-w^2+i\epsilon}}=\int \frac{dk}{2\pi}\frac{e^{ikx}}{(k-w+i\epsilon)(k+w-i\epsilon)}
[/tex]

taking the limit of [itex]\epsilon[/itex] to 0, x can be positive or negative.

If x>0, then, i use the path from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [tex]\infty[/tex], then a semicircle from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] in the upper plane, and i take the residue from that enclosed region. I know that the semicirlce path is 0, because of Jordan lemma (right?), then, the only pole in that region is [itex]k=-w+i\epsilon[/itex], so, the result is

[tex]
I(x>0)=i \frac{e^{-iwx}}{2w}
[/tex]

so far so good. Now the problems arrives when i take x<0, in that case, I know, Jordan lemma is not true if I take the same semicircle as before (right?), so, i use the following property:

[tex]
e^{ikx}=e^{-ikx}+2i\sin{kx}
[/tex]

putting that in the integration, and using that the sin is odd, and the denominator even, then,

[tex]
I(x)=\int \frac{dk}{2\pi} \frac{e^{ik(-x)}}{(k-w+i\epsilon)(k+w-i\epsilon)}
[/tex]

so, now i can use Jordan lemma and taking the semicrcle in the upper plane, so that path is 0 (right), then, using the residue theorem,

[tex]
I(x<0)=-i \frac{e^{iwx}}{2w}
[/tex]

So, using the heaviside function,

[tex]
I=-\frac{i}{2w}(\theta(x)e^{-iwx}+\theta(-x)e^{iwx})
[/tex]

My problem, now, is this, what if, instead taking, in the case x<0, the upper plane, i use the lower plane, and don't mind with the sine as i did, so, back to the integral

[tex]
I(x<0)=\int \frac{dk}{2\pi} \frac{e^{ik(x)}}{(k-w+i\epsilon)(k+w-i\epsilon)}
[/tex]

then, using the lower plane (the path is from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] then from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] but from below), the Jordan lemma is again true (right?, because [itex]e^{R\sin(x)}[/itex] goes to 0 if x<0). Then, the only pole there is [itex](w-i\epsilon)[/itex], so, i guess, the residue theorem is the same as before, just that i changed the enclosed region, then,

[tex]
I(x<0)=i\frac{e^{iwx}}{2w}
[/tex]

if we compare the previous result i get a minus sing extra, and we all know that i good scientist miss in and even amount of sings, but i did in an odd, amount, my question is: where is my problem?

And further, what happens if i take another integral similar to the one above:

[tex]
I(x)={\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dk}{2\pi}\frac{e^{ikx}}{(k-i\epsilon)^2-w^2}}
[/tex]

The solution, i know, is that for x<0, I=0, if i take the lower plane it's true, but if i use

[tex]
e^{ikx}=e^{-ikx}+2i\sin{kx}
[/tex]

and taking the upper plane i don't get that result, why?, what did i do wrong? I prefer to ask, because, as you should know, when you have and idea that something is right/wrong, unless someone tells you where's your mistake, you'll keep doing it wrong.

If you want to know, this is the time part of the Feynman propagator of a free theory, you can check the answer in any quantum field theory book, or in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagator

and a final comment: if you find any mistake in my english, point it out, i'll appreciate, none of my englishspeaker friends point those thing, they think that is not "polite".

Saludos!

(and happy new year)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, i guess i found my mistake:

while i was preparing the barbecue, i though "hey, cauchy is valid always, but the sing change if you change the direction of your path, like everything in your life, so, if it is anti-clockwise then

[tex]
I=2\pi i Res()
[/tex]

but if you take the path clockwise it is

[tex]
I=-2\pi i Res()
[/tex]

and in the latter integral,

[tex]
I=\int \frac{dk}{2\pi}\frac{e^{ikx}}{(k-i\epsilon)^2-w^2}
[/tex]

you cannot use

[tex]
e^{ikx}=e^{-ikx}+2i\sin(kx)
[/tex]

because

[tex]
\int \frac{dk}{2\pi}\frac{\sin(kx)}{(k-i\epsilon)^2-w^2}
[/tex]

is not 0! (you dumb idiot!).

and so, i get the right sing, and i don't get different result for the same integral!"

So, unless i just believe that because it gives me the answer I'm looking for, that is the right answer, is it?

Saludos!

i love a student who is bothered by a problem three years old. you have a bright future youngster.

Related to Complex integration: which path should i choose?

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve in the complex plane. It involves integrating a function with complex numbers as its variables.

2. Why is choosing the right path important in complex integration?

In complex integration, the path of integration can affect the value of the integral. Choosing the correct path is important to ensure that the integral is evaluated correctly and accurately reflects the desired area under the curve.

3. How do I choose the right path for complex integration?

The path for complex integration is typically chosen based on the geometry of the problem. It is important to consider the singularities of the function and the behavior of the function on the complex plane to determine the appropriate path.

4. What are some common paths used in complex integration?

Some common paths used in complex integration include the rectangular path, circular path, and the contour path. The choice of path depends on the specific problem and the desired outcome.

5. What are some techniques for evaluating complex integrals?

Some techniques for evaluating complex integrals include using Cauchy's integral theorem, the residue theorem, and the method of partial fractions. These techniques involve breaking down the integral into simpler forms and using known formulas to solve them.