Complex Locus - Modulus, Argument and Cartesian Equation Explained

• Thread starter mathological
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary: Thanks for pointing that out.In summary, the conversation discusses three different homework problems. The first problem involves finding the locus of a complex number z that satisfies a given condition, and the second problem involves showing that certain inequalities hold for any complex number z with a specific modulus. The third problem deals with finding the gradient of a curve and the set of possible values of the principal argument of a complex number z. The conversation includes multiple attempts at solutions and clarifications on the given conditions of the problems.
mathological
Complex Locus - PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

Q1: The complex number z satisfies arg(z+3) = pi/3

(a) Sketch the locus of the point P in the Argand diagram which represents z (DONE)

(b) Find the modulus and argument of z when z takes its least value. (STUCK)

(c) Hence represent z in a + ib form. (STUCK)

Homework Equations

arg(z+3) = pi/3

The Attempt at a Solution

arctan[y/(x+3)] = pi/3

y/(x+3) = sqrt(3)

y = sqrt(3)x + 3*sqrt(3)

I can't do part (b) and hence (c) of Q1.

Homework Statement

Q2: If z is any complex number such that |z| = 1, show using Argand diagram or otherwise that:

Homework Equations

(a) 1 <= |z+2| <= 3 (STUCK)

(b) -pi/6 <= arg(z+2) <= pi/6 (STUCK)

I have sketched both parts (a) which is the region between the circles centred at (-2,0) and radii 1 and 3 and (b).

Homework Statement

Q3: The complex number z = x+iy, x and y are real, such that |z - i| = Im(z).

(a) Show that the point representing z has a Cartesian Equation y = 1/2(x^2 + 1). Sketch the locus. (DONE)

(b) Find the gradient of the tangent to this curve which passes through the origin. Hence find the set of possible values of the principal argument of z. (STUCK)

Homework Equations

|z - i| = Im(z)

y = 1/2(x^2 + 1)

for part (a)

sqrt[x2 + (y-1)2] = y
x2 + y2 - 2y + 1 = y2
therefore, y = 1/2(x2+1)

Part (b) - NO IDEA!

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

mathological said:
(b) Find the modulus and argument of z when z takes its least value. (STUCK)
There's no ordering relation on the complex numbers. Do you mean when |z| takes its least value? In that case, you have an equation of the form y=kx+m, and you know that z=x+iy. You get |z| (as a function of x) from that. Then you find the minimum by setting its derivative =0, and so on.

mathological said:

Homework Statement

Q2: If z is any complex number such that |z| = 1, show using Argand diagram or otherwise that:

Homework Equations

(a) 1 <= |z+2| <= 3 (STUCK)
When it says you can use a diagram, you really just have to draw the picture and point at the details that make it obvious. If z is on the unit circle, then z+2 is on a circle with the same radius but moved 2 units to the right. So its left edge is at 1 and its right edge at 3 (because the original circle had the edges at -1 and +1). For a more rigorous solution, use the triangle inequality and the...uh...I don't know what it's called, but it's similar to the triangle inequality, but with a minus sign.

mathological said:
(b) -pi/6 <= arg(z+2) <= pi/6 (STUCK)

I have sketched both parts (a) which is the region between the circles centred at (-2,0) and radii 1 and 3 and (b).
z+2 is on the circle with radius 1 centered at 2, not -2. So draw that circle, and then draw two lines from 0 that are tangent to the circle (above and below). Can you figure out the angles they make with the real axis?

Last edited:

Fredrik said:
z+2 is on the circle with radius 1 centered at 2, not -2. So draw that circle, and then draw two lines from 0 that are tangent to the circle (above and below). Can you figure out the angles they make with the real axis?

Thanks Fredrik, I was actually taking 1 <= |z+2| <= 3 as the region between circles centered at (-2,0) and with radii 1 unit and 3 units.

I see where I went wrong. But just one thing, why isn't |z+2| a circle centred at (-2,0)?

Fredrik said:
There's no ordering relation on the complex numbers. Do you mean when |z| takes its least value?

Fredrik, you are absolutely correct.

Q1 (b) is supposed to read:

(b) Find the modulus and argument of z when |z| takes its least value.

Fredrik said:
In that case, you have an equation of the form y=kx+m, and you know that z=x+iy. You get |z| (as a function of x) from that. Then you find the minimum by setting its derivative =0, and so on.

What will be the value of k and m (I mean how do you obtain these)?

mathological said:
But just one thing, why isn't |z+2| a circle centred at (-2,0)?
|z+2| is just a number. If you're thinking of the equation |z+2|=1, it defines a circle with radius 1 centered at -2, but you were given the equation |z|=1. The problem asks you to show that the two inequalities you were given are satisfied by each z on that circle.

mathological said:
What will be the value of k and m (I mean how do you obtain these)?
You already did that in your first post. I drew a picture and saw that the line forms a right triangle with the two axes. The bottom side has length 3, and the right side has length m, so

[tex]k=\frac{m}{3}=\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right)[/tex]

and therefore

[tex]y=kx+m=k(x+3)=\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right)(x+3)[/tex]

Fredrik said:
|z+2| is just a number. If you're thinking of the equation |z+2|=1, it defines a circle with radius 1 centered at -2, but you were given the equation |z|=1. The problem asks you to show that the two inequalities you were given are satisfied by each z on that circle.

You already did that in your first post. I drew a picture and saw that the line forms a right triangle with the two axes. The bottom side has length 3, and the right side has length m, so

[tex]k=\frac{m}{3}=\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right)[/tex]

and therefore

[tex]y=kx+m=k(x+3)=\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right)(x+3)[/tex]

Thanks Fredrik. Yeah it was a bit stupid of me to ask what k and m were.

Related to Complex Locus - Modulus, Argument and Cartesian Equation Explained

1. What is a complex locus?

A complex locus refers to a group of genes or genetic markers located on the same chromosome that are inherited together due to their proximity to each other.

2. How is a complex locus different from a single gene?

A single gene refers to a specific stretch of DNA that codes for a particular trait or protein, while a complex locus involves multiple genes that are inherited as a group and can affect multiple traits or proteins.

3. What are some examples of complex loci?

Some common examples of complex loci include blood type, eye color, and height. These traits are influenced by multiple genes rather than a single gene.

4. How are complex loci studied in genetics?

Complex loci are studied using techniques such as genome-wide association studies (GWAS) and linkage mapping, which aim to identify genetic variations that are associated with certain traits or diseases.

5. Can complex loci be inherited in a non-Mendelian pattern?

Yes, complex loci can exhibit patterns of inheritance that do not follow Mendelian genetics, such as incomplete dominance or codominance where both alleles are expressed, or polygenic inheritance where multiple genes contribute to a single trait.