Complex Logarithm: Solving tan-1[(2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7]

In summary, the task is to find the value of tan-1[(2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7] using the given equation tan-1z = (1/2i)ln[(1+iz)/(1-iz)]. The attempt at a solution involves rewriting the expression inside the logarithm in the form a+bi and using complex conjugates to find its magnitude and angle. The current attempt has a sign error and further calculations are needed to find the final solution.
metgt4

Homework Statement

If

tan-1z = (1/2i)ln[(1+iz)/(1-iz)]

then find

tan-1[(2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7]

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't gotten very far, but this is what I have so far:

tan-1[(2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7]

= (1/2i)ln[(i2sqrt(3) + 10)/(i2sqrt(3) + 4)]

Where do you go from there? I'm not completely familiar with the rules of complex logarithms. Can you split it into real and imaginary parts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should check what you already have. I think you've already got a sign wrong. But you want write the expression inside the log in the form a+bi with a and b real, so you can find it's magnitude and angle. You know how to do that with a ratio using complex conjugates, right?

FAQ: Complex Logarithm: Solving tan-1[(2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7]

1. What is the definition of a complex logarithm?

A complex logarithm is a mathematical function that calculates the logarithm of a complex number. It is defined as the inverse of the exponential function, and can be written as logb(z) = x + iy, where z is the complex number, b is the base of the logarithm, and x and y are real numbers.

2. How do you solve for a complex logarithm?

To solve for a complex logarithm, you can use the formula logb(z) = x + iy. First, convert the complex number into polar form (r(cosθ + isinθ)). Then, apply the formula logb(z) = logb(r) + iθ. Finally, use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation and find the values of x and y.

3. What is the meaning of tan-1 in the expression tan-1[(2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7]?

Tan-1 (also written as arctan) is the inverse trigonometric function for tangent. In this expression, it is used to find the angle whose tangent is equal to the complex number (2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7.

4. How do you solve for the complex logarithm of a complex number?

To solve for the complex logarithm of a complex number, you can follow the same steps as solving for a real logarithm. First, convert the complex number into polar form. Then, apply the formula logb(z) = logb(r) + iθ. Finally, simplify the equation using properties of logarithms and solve for the values of x and y.

5. What is the significance of solving for tan-1[(2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7] in the complex logarithm?

Solving for tan-1[(2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7] in the complex logarithm allows you to find the angle whose tangent is equal to the complex number (2sqrt(3) - 3i)/7. This is useful in many applications, such as in engineering, physics, and signal processing.