Complex Matrices, please check my working

In summary, we discussed the commutation relation between three angular momentum matrices and showed that the elements of the third matrix must be pure imaginary if two of the matrices have real components. We also looked at the properties of complex conjugation and how it applies to determinants, and showed that det(A*) = (det(A))*. Finally, we used the fact that the determinant of a Hermitian matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues to show that det(A†) = (det(A))*.
ognik
Hi, just starting with complex matrices, would appreciate checking if I'm on the right track.

1) Three angular momentum matrices satisfy the commutation relation: [Jx , Jy]= i.Jz
If 2 of the matrices have real components, show the elements of the 3rd must be pure imaginary. (I assume pure imaginary means no real parts to any components?) I would argue as follows, would appreciate checking my arguements ...and if there is another, more analytical way of doing it

(i) If Jz pure imaginary, then the RHS is pure real (multiplied by i). For the LHS to be real, then both the other matrices must be real for the RHS to be real.

(ii) If Jz is real, then RHS is pure imaginary, because of the i on that side. Then, if one of the LHS matrices is real, the other must be pure imaginary to make the LHS pure imaginary.

2) Show $ det(A^{*}) = (det(A))^{*} = det(A^{\dagger})$
Please check the following sltn:

(i) $ For\: 3D,\: det(A) = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}\sum_{k}{a}_{1i}{a}_{2j}{a}_{3k} $
$ \therefore\: det({A}^{*}) = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}\sum_{k}{a}_{1i}^{*}{a}_{2j}^{*}{a}_{3k}^{*} $

(ii) $ (det({A}))^{*} = (\sum_{i}\sum_{j}\sum_{k}{a}_{1i}{a}_{2j}{a}_{3k})^{*} = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}\sum_{k}{a}_{1i}^{*}{a}_{2j}^{*}{a}_{3k}^{*}$
$ \therefore (det({A}))^{*} = det({A}^{*})$

(iii) $ For\: det({A}^{\dagger}), {a}_{ij} = {a}_{ji}^{*},\: \therefore det({A}^{\dagger}) = \sum_{i}\sum_{j}\sum_{k}{a}_{i1}^{*}{a}_{j2}^{*}{a}_{k3}^{*} = ... $
Here I'm stuck, and would appreciate a hint, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out for feedback on your arguments. Your reasoning for the first question looks correct. To summarize, if Jz is pure imaginary, then the other two matrices must be real for the commutation relation to hold. And if Jz is real, then one of the other matrices must be pure imaginary for the commutation relation to hold. Therefore, the elements of the third matrix must be pure imaginary.

For the second question, your first two steps are correct. However, for the third step, you can use the fact that the determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues. Therefore, for a matrix A, det(A) = λ1*λ2*λ3, where λ1, λ2, and λ3 are the eigenvalues of A. Since complex conjugation does not change the magnitude of a complex number, we can write det(A*) = (λ1*)*(λ2*)*(λ3*). And since complex conjugation also does not change the order of multiplication, we can write det(A*) = (λ1*λ2*λ3*) = (det(A))*. Therefore, det(A*) = (det(A))*.

For det(A†), you can use the fact that the determinant of a Hermitian matrix (A†) is equal to the product of its eigenvalues. And since the eigenvalues of a Hermitian matrix are real, we can write det(A†) = λ1*λ2*λ3, where λ1, λ2, and λ3 are the eigenvalues of A†. And since complex conjugation does not change the order of multiplication, we can write det(A†) = (λ1*λ2*λ3) = (det(A))*. Therefore, det(A†) = (det(A))*.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Complex Matrices, please check my working

1. What are complex matrices?

A complex matrix is a matrix with complex numbers as its elements. Complex numbers have a real part and an imaginary part, and they are represented in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How are complex matrices different from real matrices?

Complex matrices differ from real matrices in that their elements are complex numbers rather than just real numbers. This means that they have both a real and imaginary component, whereas real matrices only have a real component.

3. How do you add and subtract complex matrices?

To add or subtract complex matrices, you simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in the matrices. The real components are added/subtracted separately from the imaginary components. For example, to add two complex matrices A and B, you would add A + B = (a + bi) + (c + di) = (a + c) + (b + d)i.

4. Can complex matrices be multiplied?

Yes, complex matrices can be multiplied. To multiply two complex matrices A and B, you use the standard matrix multiplication formula, but instead of multiplying real numbers, you multiply complex numbers using the FOIL method. For example, to multiply two 2x2 complex matrices, you would get a resulting 2x2 matrix with complex elements.

5. What are the applications of complex matrices?

Complex matrices have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to represent and manipulate data with both real and imaginary components, making them useful in solving complex problems that involve both real and imaginary quantities.