(Complex number) I have no idea on this

Complex number is the weakest point of mine in mathematics and it is really really hard for me. You have to try to overcome that if you want to learn anything. You can't just give up when you get to something you don't like. I don't like working out, but I have to do it anyway. That's life.I try to do my best but if you think that you have told me the 99% of the solution, i will try it again. :)You should have done that before you even posted the question. If you don't try things before you ask for help, you can't even know what you know and what you don't know. You should have done that before you even posted

I like Serena said:
IMHO ehild's method of factoring, followed by the triangle inequalities, is the nicest one.
Yes, I agree. [tex]|z^4-4z^2+3|=|z^2-3|\,|z^2-1|\geq \text{something}\cdot\text{something}[/tex] is definitely the way to go.

Pranav-Arora, the method I suggested doesn't work. We get [itex]|z^4-4z^2+3|\geq -3[/itex] if we do it exactly the way I suggested. We need +3 on the right, not -3, so this result is useless. Even if we change the first step into [itex]|z^4-4z^2+3|\geq 3-|z^4-4z^2|[/itex], we're getting something useless. I apologize for misleading you.

The only solution I have found that is similar to my original idea is to start with [tex]|z^4-4z^2+3|\geq|z^4-4z^2+4|-1=|z^2-2|^2-1,[/tex] but as you can see, the only point of doing it this way would be to make the factorization a bit easier. I don't see a way to avoid doing a factorization.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It didn't help that I made a mistake in thinking that |z^4 - 4z^2| <= |z^4| - |4z^2|. It is <= |z^4| + |4z^2|. Which means that |z^4 - 4z2 + 3| <= 35, a very strange looking result. But in this question we need >=, and that I don't know how to do nicely (unless factorizing is nice but it seems lucky). I'll look at this more.

verty said:
It didn't help that I made a mistake in thinking that |z^4 - 4z^2| <= |z^4| - |4z^2|. It is <= |z^4| + |4z^2|. Which means that |z^4 - 4z2 + 3| <= 35, a very strange looking result. But in this question we need >=, and that I don't know how to do nicely (unless factorizing is nice but it seems lucky). I'll look at this more.

If ABC is a triangle then there are 2 triangle inequalities, which combined into one are:
[tex]\left|~|AC| - |BC|~\right| \le |AB| \le |AC| + |BC|[/tex]

In words:
The length of AB is greater than the difference in length of the other 2 sides.
The length of AB is less then the sum of the lengths of the other 2 sides.

You need the first form.

I am fed up of this problem.
Now please stop posting hints and stop making me more confused. :mad:

Ok, I've got my head around it now. Right.

Pranav, in case you return to this question later, here is a hint how to do it without factorizing.

If we have |a| and |b|, we can say two things: one is |a| + |b| >= |a+b|, one is ||a| - |b|| <= |a-b|. Since we need to show (what?) about |z^4 + 3 - 4z^2|, we can (do what?) using (which one?) to find the answer. :)

I already said:-

STOP POSTING HINTS NOW.

verty said:
Ok, I've got my head around it now. Right.

Pranav, in case you return to this question later, here is a hint how to do it without factorizing.

If we have |a| and |b|, we can say two things: one is |a| + |b| >= |a+b|, one is ||a| - |b|| <= |a-b|. Since we need to show (what?) about |z^4 + 3 - 4z^2|, we can (do what?) using (which one?) to find the answer. :)
This seems to be the exact same approach that I tried first. See my comments in #38 and #42. (Did you miss the same minus sign as I did?)

It wasn't the same sign error. I didn't trust myself to apply any other form of triangle inequality, so I stuck to the traditional "hypotenuse is no greater" form. But that gave the wrong bound, and then I had a sign error trying to adapt that approach to the problem. Anyway, let's move on.

verty said:
I didn't trust myself to apply any other form of triangle inequality, so I stuck to the traditional "hypotenuse is no greater" form.
The one with a minus sign follows from that one. For all z and w, |z+w|≤|z|+|w|. This implies that for all z and w, |z|=|(z+w)-w|≤|z+w|+|-w|=|z+w|+|w|.

So for all z and w, we have [tex]|z|-|w|\leq|z+w|\leq |z|+|w|.[/tex]