Complex numbers and conjugates

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving complex numbers and shows that by letting z and w be conjugates of each other, certain equations must hold true. Through substitution and manipulation of equations, it is proven that the real and imaginary parts of z and w must be equal, making them conjugates.
Sean1
Hi everyone,

Can you please assist with the following problem?

The complex numbers z and w are such that for the real variable x,
(x-z)(x-w)=ax2+bx+c for real a,b and c.

By letting z=p+qi and w=r+si, prove that z and w must be conjugates of one another.So far, I have determined that a=1, -b=w+z and c=wz,
I know I need to show that q+s=0 and that p=r, but I am not sure how to proceed.

Thanks for reading my post.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sean said:
Hi everyone,

By letting z=p+qi and w=r+si, prove that z and w must be conjugates of one another.So far, I have determined that a=1, -b=w+z and c=wz,
I know I need to show that q+s=0 and that p=r, but I am not sure how to proceed.

Hi Sean,

The three equations you have obtained are correct. Substitute for $w$ and $z$ in these equations. For example,

\[-b=w+z\Rightarrow (p+qi)+(r+si)=-b\Rightarrow (p+r)+i(q+s)=-b\]

Since $-b$ is a real number what can you say about $q+s$ which is the imaginary part?

Sean said:
Hi everyone,

Remember that b and c are real. The only way you can add two complex numbers to get a real number is if the imaginary parts cancel out, so $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathcal{I}\,(z) = -\mathcal{I}\,(w) \end{align*}$.

Now if you write $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = p + \mathrm{i}\,q \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} w = r + \mathrm{i}\,s \end{align*}$ (where p,q,r,s are all real), then we have already shown that s = -q, giving $\displaystyle \begin{align*} w = r - \mathrm{i}\,q \end{align*}$. Multiplying z and w gives

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} w\,z &= \left( r - \mathrm{i}\,q \right) \left( p + \mathrm{i}\,q \right) \\ &= p\,r + \mathrm{i}\,q\,r - \mathrm{i}\,p\,q - \mathrm{i}^2\, q^2 \\ &= p\,r + q^2 + \mathrm{i} \, \left( q\,r - p\,q \right) \end{align*}$

For this to be real,

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} q\,r - p\,q &= 0 \\ q \, \left( r - p \right) &= 0 \\ q = 0 \textrm{ or } r - p &= 0 \\ q = 0 \textrm{ or } p &= r \end{align*}$

Therefore, if w and z are nonreal, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathcal{R}\,(z) = \mathcal{R}\,(w) \end{align*}$.

This has shown that w and z must be complex conjugates.

Related to Complex numbers and conjugates

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). They are used to represent quantities that cannot be expressed using only real numbers, such as the square root of a negative number.

2. What is the difference between a complex number and a real number?

A complex number is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number, while a real number is a number that can be expressed on the number line. Complex numbers have a real part and an imaginary part, while real numbers only have a real part.

3. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is a complex number with the same real part as the original number, but with the opposite sign for the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i.

4. Why are conjugates important in complex numbers?

Conjugates are important in complex numbers because when multiplied together, they produce a real number. This makes it easier to perform operations like division and simplification of complex expressions.

5. How are complex numbers and conjugates used in real life?

Complex numbers and conjugates are used in many areas of science and engineering, including electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in fields like economics and finance to model and analyze complex systems.