Complex numbers Simultaneos Eqn

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve a problem involving two equations and two variables. The process involves subtracting one equation from the other to eliminate one variable, and then solving for the remaining variable. The answer is supposed to be i/6 + 1/6, but there is some confusion about whether it is actually -i/6 - 1/6.
kukumaluboy

Homework Statement

1) 2w+iz = 3; 2) (3-i)w - z = 1 +3i
2wi - z = 3i; 3w - iw - z = 1 + 3i

Substract (2) from (1):

2wi - z - (3w-iw-z) = 3i - (1+3i)
2wi -3w +iw = -1
3iw - 3w = -1
3w(i-1) = -1
3w = -1/(i-1) = -0.5i - 0.5
w = -i/6 - 1/6

But the answer is i/6 + 1/6 for W

Physics news on Phys.org
kukumaluboy said:

Homework Statement

1) 2w+iz = 3; 2) (3-i)w - z = 1 +3i
2wi - z = 3i; 3w - iw - z = 1 + 3i

Substract (2) from (1):

2wi - z - (3w-iw-z) = 3i - (1+3i)
2wi -3w +iw = -1
3iw - 3w = -1
3w(i-1) = -1
3w = -1/(i-1) = -0.5i - 0.5
w = -i/6 - 1/6

But the answer is i/6 + 1/6 for W

##1/(i-1) = -(1/2)-(1/2)\,i##, so what is ##-1/(i-1)##?

Likes kukumaluboy
THANKS!
*That feeling when you admit the book is not wrong =/ *

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Complex numbers Simultaneos Eqn

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that contain multiple variables and must be solved at the same time. They can be linear or nonlinear and have multiple solutions.

How are complex numbers used in simultaneous equations?

Complex numbers are used in simultaneous equations when the equations involve imaginary numbers. They can help to find solutions that may not be possible with only real numbers.

What is the difference between real and imaginary solutions in simultaneous equations?

Real solutions in simultaneous equations are values that make both equations true when substituted into the variables. Imaginary solutions involve complex numbers and may not be able to be graphed on a traditional x-y axis.

What are some real-world applications of complex numbers and simultaneous equations?

Complex numbers and simultaneous equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They can also be used to model real-life situations involving multiple variables and unknowns.

Back