Complex-Phasor (Moved from physics)

• Thread starter maali5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a complex phasor is a mathematical representation used in physics to describe the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal wave. It is similar to a regular complex number, but also has a magnitude and phase angle associated with it. In electrical engineering, complex phasors are used to simplify the analysis of AC circuits and in signal processing, they are used to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. While primarily used for sinusoidal signals, complex phasors can also be extended to represent non-sinusoidal signals through the use of Fourier series, making them a versatile tool in various fields of science and engineering.
maali5

Homework Statement

Two alternating currents are applied out of phase with each other. One is 4 volts and the other is 3 volts 27° out of phase.

These can be written as (4, 0°) and (3, 27°)

Homework Equations

a)draw both phasors
b)draw the combined phasor between (0 degree and 360 degree)
c)label peak voltage and state its value

The Attempt at a Solution

a)A rough drawing on paint http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/plotb.jpg/

b) I know A= 6.8106 volts by using this formula

r=√a2+b2

r=3cos27 + 4i + i(3sin 27)

r=√(3cos27 + 9)2 + (3sin27)2

=6.81v

angle=0.2014

Image 2 attached.

Please look at both images, which are correct

Attachments

• phasor.PNG
    phasor.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
maali5 said:

Homework Statement

Two alternating currents are applied out of phase with each other. One is 4 volts and the other is 3 volts 27° out of phase.

These can be written as (4, 0°) and (3, 27°)

Homework Equations

a)draw both phasors

The Attempt at a Solution

a)A rough drawing on paint http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/plotb.jpg/

b) I know A= 6.8106 volts by using this formula

r=√a2+b2

r=3cos27 + 4i + i(3sin 27)

r=√(3cos27 + 9)2 + (3sin27)2

=6.81v

angle=0.2014Image 2 attached.Please look at both images, which are correct

Is there a question here?

LCKurtz said:

Yeh

(4,0°) and (3,27°)

a)draw both phasors

LCKurtz said:

maali5 said:
Yeh

(4,0°) and (3,27°)

a)draw both phasors

Well, yes, those are the questions you are working on. I knew that. And I see you have worked on them. What is your question that you are seeking help on here?

I have drawn two images. Also done a calculation.

I was wondering if the images and calculation are correct?

Your work looks OK, but I think your answer to (b) should be a picture of a phasor (which I don't see anywhere) and your answer to (c) should just be a number.

LCKurtz said:
Your work looks OK, but I think your answer to (b) should be a picture of a phasor (which I don't see anywhere) and your answer to (c) should just be a number.

b)How should I draw a phasor?

c) Again any help on what number ?

try sketching both graphs on the same axis... then imagine what the sum might look like.

maali5 said:
b)How should I draw a phasor?
The same way you drew phasors for part (a).
c) Again any help on what number ?

You already calculated it, didn't you?

LCKurtz You have confused me.

Let's rewind back- I have drawn two images

i) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/plotb.jpg

ii) The attached image

Then you said

"
Your work looks OK, but I think your answer to (b) should be a picture of a phasor (which I don't see anywhere) and your answer to (c) should just be a number."

My reply to you question:

For the phasor image would that not be image (i) and for c the number (=6.81v ).

And last but not least should I label (6.81v) on graph B.

Thanks again

maali5 said:
LCKurtz You have confused me.

Let's rewind back- I have drawn two images

i) (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/plotb.jpg

ii) The attached image

Then you said

"
Your work looks OK, but I think your answer to (b) should be a picture of a phasor (which I don't see anywhere) and your answer to (c) should just be a number."

My reply to you question:

For the phasor image would that not be image (i)

Part (a) Said draw both phasors. That's apparently what you did in image 1, although I would put a little arrowhead on the tips of both.

and for c the number (=6.81v ).

And last but not least should I label (6.81v) on graph B.

Thanks again

Part (b) asks for the "combined phasor". That is another phasor like in part (a). It is just the result of adding the two given phasors and would be easy to include in your image 1. But when it asks for the combined phasor "between 0 and 360" maybe it means the corresponding sine wave like in your other image. Either way the 6.81 is the amplitude of the sine wave you have drawn and is also the length of the combined phasor, which you have not drawn yet.

Thank you!

One last question for the combined phasor. How should I be able to draw that?

Would you please be able to attach simple exam on how to draw one? As I do not where to start.

maali5 said:
Thank you!

One last question for the combined phasor. How should I be able to draw that?

Would you please be able to attach simple exam on how to draw one? As I do not where to start.

You calculated its length and angle (in radians) in your first post. Just draw it like you did the others. Or you could geometrically use the parallelogram rule for adding the two vectors (phasors) in your first picture. Or if it's the sine wave they want, you have already drawn it.

Related to Complex-Phasor (Moved from physics)

1. What is a complex phasor in physics?

A complex phasor is a mathematical representation used in physics to describe the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal wave. It is a complex number with a real part that represents the amplitude and an imaginary part that represents the phase.

2. How is a complex phasor different from a regular complex number?

A complex phasor is similar to a regular complex number in that it has a real and imaginary part, but it also has a magnitude and phase angle associated with it. This allows it to represent both the amplitude and phase of a wave, while a regular complex number only represents a point in the complex plane.

3. What is the significance of using complex phasors in electrical engineering?

Complex phasors are used in electrical engineering to simplify the analysis of AC circuits. By representing sinusoidal signals as complex phasors, calculations involving circuit elements such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors can be easily done using basic algebra rather than complex calculus.

4. How are complex phasors used in signal processing?

In signal processing, complex phasors are used to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. By converting a signal from the time domain to the complex phasor domain, it becomes easier to identify and remove specific frequencies from the signal, making it a useful tool in noise reduction and filtering.

5. Can complex phasors be used for non-sinusoidal signals?

While complex phasors are primarily used to represent sinusoidal signals, they can also be extended to represent non-sinusoidal signals through the use of Fourier series. This allows for the analysis of more complex signals in the frequency domain, making complex phasors a versatile tool in various fields of science and engineering.