Complex Power Q: Solved w/ My Friend & I

In summary, the conversation discusses understanding the concept of active, reactive, and apparent power, as well as the relationship between these types of power in a right-angle triangle. The power factor angle, represented by Φ, is also mentioned as a key factor in the equation P = S.cos Φ.
A.J.710

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 5.16.52 PM.png

[moderator note: Image inserted to be visible in problem statement]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My friend and I are trying to figure out how this works. This is the questions and the solution manual. We understand where the real power comes from but not at all how to get the complex. If anyone could give a brief explanation, that would be great. Preferably A because that's where we started and just cannot get the complex part at all.[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Active, reactive, and apparent power. It's well explained on Wikipedia.

They form a right-angle triangle: active or real power on the base, reactive power on the altitude, and complex power forms the hypotenuse. One of the angles is the power factor angle such that P = S.cos Φ

Related to Complex Power Q: Solved w/ My Friend & I

What is complex power and how is it solved?

Complex power is a mathematical concept used in electrical engineering to describe the combination of active and reactive power. It is solved using the complex power formula, which involves multiplying the voltage by the complex conjugate of the current.

Why is complex power important in electrical engineering?

Complex power is important because it allows engineers to accurately measure and analyze the power consumption and distribution in a circuit. It also takes into account the reactive components of power, which are essential for understanding the behavior of inductive and capacitive loads.

Can complex power be negative?

Yes, complex power can be negative. This indicates that the circuit is generating more power than it is consuming, which is common in systems with energy storage components like batteries or capacitors.

How is complex power different from apparent power?

Complex power and apparent power are related but not the same. Apparent power is the total power in a circuit, including both active and reactive components, while complex power is only the reactive component. In other words, complex power is a subset of apparent power.

Can complex power be used to calculate the power factor?

Yes, the power factor is the ratio of active power to apparent power, which can be calculated using complex power. The angle between the voltage and current vectors in a complex power diagram represents the power factor of the circuit.