Complex Variables and Integration

In summary: Now, on the negative real axis, what does our contour do? It goes from \infty e^{0i} to \infty e^{2\pi i}! So, the integral from 0 to infinity is: [x^m/(x^2 + 1)^2] = R e^{2\pi i}
Ed Quanta
How do I solve the following integral using complex variable techniques

The integral from 0 to infinity of [x^m/(x^2 + 1)^2]; 1<m<3

Physics news on Phys.org
Ed Quanta said:
How do I solve the following integral using complex variable techniques

The integral from 0 to infinity of [x^m/(x^2 + 1)^2]; 1<m<3

You will have to select a contour judiciously. Since m is not generally an integer then z = 0 is a branch point. Choose the branch to extend from 0 to infinity along the postive real axis. For your contour, one part will extend from infinity along the positive real axis and loop arbitrarily close to the origin then continue along the positive real axis paying close attention to the fact that [itex]z = R e^{2 \pi i}[/itex] along that portion of the contour. The rest of your contour circles around from [itex]\infty e^{0i}[/itex] to [itex]\infty e^{2\pi i}[/itex].

Now just apply the Cauchy Integral Theorem! You'll pick up a residue from the small loop around the origin and the two linear segments have different phases and their sum is proportional to the integral you want to evaluate.

What about the singularities at z=i and at z=-i?
Do I make my contour so that these two points are not included?

Ed Quanta said:
What about the singularities at z=i and at z=-i?
Do I make my contour so that these two points are not included?

Using the contour I described, those singularities are included. You have to be aware of what is inside and outside the contour and it becomes a simple matter of proper bookkeeping!

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, we have a contour that extends from infinity along the positive real axis, loop around as it comes close to the origin, and then what does it do on the negative real axis? Sorry, just trying to get this picture in my head.

Okay - step by step: Start at infinity along the positive real axis and go toward the origin. Loop around the origin (tiny loop!) and go back out to infinity (on the [itex]e^{2\pi i}[/itex] side!) then close your loop with a big circle at infinity. We're choosing [itex]z = R e^{2\pi i}[/itex] to be the branch cut.

Related to Complex Variables and Integration

1. What are complex variables and integration?

Complex variables and integration refer to the study of functions of a complex variable and the techniques used to calculate integrals of these functions.

2. How are complex variables and integration used in science?

Complex variables and integration are used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in studying systems with changing states, such as fluid dynamics and electrical circuits.

3. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equation and why is it important in complex variables?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a set of conditions that must be satisfied for a function to be analytic. This means that the function is differentiable at every point in its domain. The equation is important because it provides a powerful tool for determining whether a function is analytic or not, which has many applications in complex analysis.

4. Can you give an example of a complex variable and its integral?

One example of a complex variable is the function f(z) = z^2 + 3z - 5. The integral of this function over a closed contour C is given by the Cauchy integral formula: ∫(f(z)/z-z0)dz = 2πif(z0), where z0 is any point inside the contour C. For our example function, the integral over the contour C would be 2πi(3+3i).

5. What are some common techniques for calculating complex integrals?

Some common techniques for calculating complex integrals include the Cauchy integral formula, the residue theorem, and the method of contour integration. These techniques involve using the properties of analytic functions, such as Cauchy's theorem and Cauchy's integral formula, to simplify the integration process.