Complex Variables: Missing Step in Example

In summary, the integral from 0 to 2*pi of [(Cos(3*theta)) / (5 - 4Cos(theta))] (d*theta) can be solved by factoring out z^{-3} and using the equations z=exp(i*theta), Cos(theta) = (z + z^(-1)) / 2, Cos(3*theta) = ((exp(3*i*theta)+exp(-3*i*theta)) / 2 = (z^(3) + z^(-3)) / 2, and dz = (i*z) (d*theta). By factoring the quadratic 2z^2-5z+2, the integral can be simplified to -(1
MadCow999

Homework Statement

Integral from 0 to 2*pi of [(Cos(3*theta)) / (5 - 4Cos(theta))] (d*theta)

Homework Equations

z=exp(i*theta),
Cos(theta) = (z + z^(-1)) / 2,
Cos(3*theta) = ((exp(3*i*theta)+exp(-3*i*theta)) / 2 = (z^(3) + z^(-3)) / 2,
dz = (i*z) (d*theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

This was an example in my book that didnt show all the steps T_T
Heres what they did:
=>(integral of...){[(z^(3) + z^(-3))/2] / [5 - 4(z + z^(-1))} (dz/iz)
==>-(1/2i)(integral sign)[(z^(6) + 1) / [(z^(3))(2z - 1)(z - 2)]] (dz)

i don't know what voodoo magic they pulled there, but i would like to find out!
thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Factor out [tex]z^{-3}[/tex] on the top, pull the [tex]2/i[/tex] right out of the integral, multiply the denominator through with that [tex]z[/tex] that was dividing [tex]dz[/tex]. You are now almost there...

Multiply the denominator by -1, and put a -1 outside of the integral so that you haven't changed the expression. The denominator should now look like [tex]z^3(2z^2-5z+2)[/tex] now you must factor that quadratic [tex]2z^2-5z+2 = (2z - 1)(z - 2)[/tex].

Huzzah! i can see clearly now(!)...
thanks a bunch! now (hopefully) i can apply that stuff in my homework problems!

Related to Complex Variables: Missing Step in Example

1. What are complex variables?

Complex variables are mathematical objects that involve both real and imaginary quantities. They are often represented as z = x + iy, where x and y are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. Complex variables are used to study functions that map complex numbers to other complex numbers.

2. What is a missing step in an example of complex variables?

A missing step in an example of complex variables is when a step or calculation is omitted or not fully explained in a mathematical problem or proof involving complex variables. This can lead to confusion and errors in understanding the problem or solution.

3. How can I solve for a missing step in an example of complex variables?

The best way to solve for a missing step in an example of complex variables is to carefully review the problem and try to fill in the missing step using your knowledge of complex numbers and their properties. You can also consult with a math teacher or tutor for assistance.

4. Why is it important to include all steps in an example involving complex variables?

Including all steps in an example involving complex variables is important because it helps to ensure that the solution is accurate and can be replicated by others. It also helps to clarify the thought process and reasoning behind the solution, making it easier to understand and learn from.

5. Can complex variables be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, complex variables have many applications in the real world, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, and their properties are essential in understanding and solving various problems in these fields.

Back