Complex Variables: Need help with Chebyshek poly and de Moivre Theorem

In summary, the nth order Chebyshev polynomial, Tn(x), is defined by cos(n arccos(x)) and can be represented as 1/2 [(x+sqrt(x^2-1))^n + (x-sqrt(x^2-1))^n] using the de Moivre theorem. The real part of z, where z = exp(i*n*arccos(x)), can be found by taking the average of z and its complex conjugate. Simplifying z and its conjugate and keeping them in polar form results in (z+conjugate z)/2 = 1/2 [2 cos(n arccos(x))].
CTID17

Homework Statement

The nth order Chebyshev polynomial is defined by
Tn(x)= cos( n arccos(x) ) , n is a positive integer; -1<= x <= 1.
Using the de Moivre theorem, show that Tn(x) has the polynomial representation
Tn(x)= 1/2 [(x+sqrt(x2-1))n+(x-sqrt(x2-1))n]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to begin. Only thing i can come up is to try to simplify cos (n arccos(x)) , but i get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply deMoivre to z=exp(i*n*arccos(x))=exp(i*arccos(x))^n. You want the real part. How do get the real part of z using complex conjugate?

Re(z) = (z+conjugate z)/2
z = [cos(arccos(x)) + isin(arccos(x))]^n
conjugate z = [cos(arccos(x)) - isin(arccos(x))]^n

now, do i simplify z into
z= [x+ isqrt(1-x^2)]^n
and
conjugate z = [x- isqrt(1-x^2)]^n
?
if i keep them in polar form, i get
(z+conjugate z )/2 = 1/2 [2 cos(n arccos(x))]

That's as far as i can go. I just can't see what to do.

CTID17 said:
Re(z) = (z+conjugate z)/2
z = [cos(arccos(x)) + isin(arccos(x))]^n
conjugate z = [cos(arccos(x)) - isin(arccos(x))]^n

now, do i simplify z into
z= [x+ isqrt(1-x^2)]^n
and
conjugate z = [x- isqrt(1-x^2)]^n
?
if i keep them in polar form, i get
(z+conjugate z )/2 = 1/2 [2 cos(n arccos(x))]

That's as far as i can go. I just can't see what to do.

You are basically done, aren't you? The question is writing sqrt(x^2-1) instead of i*sqrt(1-x^2). But x^2-1 is negative.

Thank you!

Related to Complex Variables: Need help with Chebyshek poly and de Moivre Theorem

1. What are complex variables?

Complex variables are numbers that contain both real and imaginary components. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. These variables are commonly used in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of functions and equations.

2. How do I solve for Chebyshev polynomials?

The Chebyshev polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that have many applications in mathematics and physics. To solve for them, you can use the recurrence relation Tn+1(x) = 2xTn(x) - Tn-1(x), where Tn(x) is the nth Chebyshev polynomial. Alternatively, you can use the generating function (1 - 2xt + t2)-1 = 1 + 2tT1(x) + 4t2T2(x) + ...

3. What is the de Moivre's theorem used for?

De Moivre's theorem is used to simplify raising complex numbers to a power. It states that (cosx + isinx)n = cos(nx) + isin(nx), where n is the power and x is the angle in radians. This theorem is particularly useful in solving problems involving polar coordinates and trigonometry.

4. Can complex variables be graphed?

Yes, complex variables can be graphed on a complex plane. The real component is plotted on the x-axis, while the imaginary component is plotted on the y-axis. This allows for a visual representation of complex numbers and their relationships with each other.

5. How are complex variables used in real life?

Complex variables have many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used in electrical engineering to analyze AC circuits, in physics to describe quantum mechanics, and in finance to model stock prices. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and fluid dynamics, to name a few.

Back