Complex variables transformation/mapping of w=z^3

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving transforming an equation from the w to the z plane. The equation is w=z^3 and the region R in the w plane is given as {-1≤u≤0, 0≤v≤1}. The solution approach involves converting to polar coordinates and setting the equations for u and v equal to the boundary conditions of R. The equations for u and v are -1/r^3≤cos(3*theta)≤0 and 0≤sin(3*theta)≤1/r^3, respectively. These equations can then be plotted in the polar coordinate system to sketch region Q.
lelam
Hi all! My basic problem is that I can't figure out how to do a transformation of z^3 from the w to the z plane.

Homework Statement
w=z^3. Region R in the w plane, R = {-1 [tex]\leq[/tex] u [tex]\leq[/tex] 0, 0[tex]\leq[/tex]v[tex]\leq[/tex]1 }.

Region Q is the mapping of region R onto the z plane. Sketch region Q.

The attempt at a solution
I tried converting to polar coordinates, so w=r^3 * exp[3i*theta]
Therefore: u=r^3 * cos(3*theta) and v=r^3 * sin(3*theta).
Then I set those equations equal to the boundary conditions of R. i.e.
r^3 * cos(3*theta) = -1
r^3 * cos(3*theta) = 0
r^3 * sin(3*theta) = 0
r^3 * sin(3*theta) = 1
But I have no idea how to plot any of those functions. Then I tried to do it in rectangular coordinates, and I got: w= x^3 + 3iyx^2 - 3xy^2 - iy^3
Therefore: u= x^3 - 3xy^2 and v= 3yx^2 - y^3
I had the same problem there in that I couldn't sketch either of those functions - and I don't think they're right anyway. Am I just approaching this problem incorrectly altogether? I could really use any help you could offer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, it looks like you're on the right track with your approach to converting to polar coordinates. However, it seems like you may have made a mistake in the equations for u and v. Let's go through it together step by step.

First, we start with the equation w=z^3. In polar coordinates, this becomes w=r^3 * exp[3i*theta]. Now, we want to find the equations for u and v in terms of r and theta. We can do this by equating the real and imaginary parts of the equation w=r^3 * exp[3i*theta].

For the real part, we have u=r^3 * cos(3*theta). This is correct.

For the imaginary part, we have v=r^3 * sin(3*theta). This is also correct.

Now, we have to set these equations equal to the boundary conditions of R. In R, we have -1≤u≤0 and 0≤v≤1. This means that -1≤r^3 * cos(3*theta)≤0 and 0≤r^3 * sin(3*theta)≤1.

Solving for r, we get -1/r^3≤cos(3*theta)≤0 and 0≤sin(3*theta)≤1/r^3. Now, we can use the inverse trigonometric functions to solve for theta in terms of r. This gives us the following equations:

-1/r^3≤cos(3*theta)≤0
arccos(-1/r^3)≤3*theta≤arccos(0)
-arccos(-1/r^3)/3≤theta≤0

0≤sin(3*theta)≤1/r^3
0≤3*theta≤arcsin(1/r^3)
0≤theta≤arcsin(1/(3*r^3))

Now, we have the equations for theta in terms of r. To sketch region Q, we can plot these equations in the polar coordinate system, with r as the radius and theta as the angle. This will give us a polar plot of region Q.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification on the steps. Good

Related to Complex variables transformation/mapping of w=z^3

1. What is the purpose of transforming/mapping complex variables?

Complex variables transformation/mapping allows us to visualize and understand the behavior of complex functions in a simpler way. It also helps us to solve complex equations and problems by mapping them onto a more familiar space.

2. How does the transformation/mapping of w=z^3 work?

The transformation/mapping of w=z^3 involves taking a complex number z and raising it to the third power. This results in a new complex number w, which is the image of z under the transformation/mapping. Geometrically, this transformation/mapping stretches and rotates the complex plane.

3. Can a complex variable transformation/mapping be reversed?

Yes, a complex variable transformation/mapping can be reversed by finding the inverse function. In the case of w=z^3, the inverse function would be w=z^(1/3). This will map the image points back to their original positions on the complex plane.

4. Are there any limitations to using complex variable transformation/mapping?

While complex variable transformation/mapping is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It may not work for all complex functions, and it can sometimes lead to incorrect results if not used correctly. It is important to understand the properties and limitations of different transformations/mappings before using them.

5. What are some real-life applications of complex variable transformation/mapping?

Complex variable transformation/mapping has various applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, signal processing, and image processing, to name a few. It is also used in the creation of fractal images and in the study of chaotic systems.