Complicated Combination Circuit problem. PLEASE HELP

In summary, to solve the Complicated Combination Circuit problem, you can simplify the circuit by replacing parallel and series resistors with equivalent resistors. This will result in a single resistor in series with the voltage source. Applying Ohm's Law will give the total current passing through the circuit. Then, using Ohm's Law on individual elements, you can find the voltage across them and the power dissipated by them.
asdfphysics
Complicated Combination Circuit problem. PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

http://i45.tinypic.com/314te39.jpg

I am suppose to create a RIVP chart with that circuit shown above.

R1 = 10 ohms
R2 = 14 ohms
R3 = 9 ohms
R4 = 11 ohms
R5 = 5 ohms
R6 = 9 ohms
The voltage of the battery is 8V.

Homework Equations

The current is not given so I am assuming that I need to solve everything with Kirchhoff's rules but I'm not sure how to do that. I also noticed that the current can go in many directions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the equations I have to use are P=IV and V=IR
I attempted to construct my RIVP chart and there were a lot of components that I need to solve for. I am not sure how to start the problem since the current is not given.

Physics news on Phys.org

You don't need to use Kirchhoff for this problem. It's possible, stepwise, to reduce all these resistors to one; and then find the main current in the cell.
Start by replacing R4 and R6 with, say R7.
R4 and R6 are in parallel.
Then this R7 is in series with R5. Replace R7 and R5 with, say, R8.
Work your way through the other resistors until there is just one left.

While you can use KCL and KVL here, it would be far easier to just simplify the circuit. Replace resistors in parallel and series by equivalent resistors. For example, the resistors R4 and R6 are in paralled and can be replaced by a single resistor of 4.95ohms. This way, just reduce the circuit. Finally, you will get a single resistor in series with the voltage source. Applying Ohm's Law in this case would give you the total current passing through the circuit. After that its just the matter of applying Ohm's Law to individual elements to get the voltage across them and the power dissipated by them.
Hope this helps.

FAQ: Complicated Combination Circuit problem. PLEASE HELP

1. What is a complicated combination circuit?

A complicated combination circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a combination of series and parallel components. This type of circuit can be quite difficult to analyze and solve because it requires knowledge of both series and parallel circuit rules.

2. How do I approach solving a complicated combination circuit?

To solve a complicated combination circuit, it is important to first identify all series and parallel components in the circuit. Then, use the appropriate circuit rules to simplify the circuit and calculate the total resistance, current, and voltage.

3. What are the common challenges when solving a complicated combination circuit?

Some common challenges when solving a complicated combination circuit include identifying the correct series and parallel components, understanding the rules of series and parallel circuits, and keeping track of the current and voltage values throughout the circuit.

4. Can I use any shortcuts or tricks to solve a complicated combination circuit faster?

While there are no shortcuts to solving a complicated combination circuit, there are some strategies that can help save time. These include simplifying the circuit by combining series and parallel components, using Kirchhoff's laws to analyze the circuit, and using a systematic approach to solving the circuit step by step.

5. How can I check my answer when solving a complicated combination circuit?

The best way to check your answer is to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the laws and principles of electrical circuits. You can also use simulation software or a breadboard to test the circuit and compare the results to your calculated values.