Complicated Physics problem involving velocity and acceleration

In summary, there are three problems discussed in this conversation. The first problem involves an object undergoing uniformly accelerated motion, with given positions and times, and the task is to find the instantaneous velocity at a certain time. The second problem involves two people observing a flower pot falling from a high rise building and determining its speed at different points in time. The third problem is to find the height between the windows of the building. To solve these problems, relevant equations and attempts should be presented.
riseofphoenix
2. An object undergoes uniformly accelerated motion from point x1 = 6 m at time t1 = 3 s to point x2 = 40 m at time t2 = 7 s. (The direction of motion of the object does not change.)

(a) If the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity at t1 is v1 = 2 m/s, what is the instantaneous velocity v2 at time t2?

______ m/s

(b) Determine the magnitude of the instantaneous acceleration of the object at time t2.

______ m

I've been at this problem for 4 hours straight and I keep getting it marked as wrong...can someone please solve this for me -.- I've literally wasted so much time on this one and the one below...

3. Jack and Jill are on two different floors of their high rise office building and looking out of their respective windows. Jack sees a flower pot go past his window ledge and Jill sees the same pot go past her window ledge a little while later. The time between the two observed events was 4.6 s. Assume air resistance is negligible.

(a) If the speed of the pot as it passes Jill's window is 59.0 m/s, what was its speed when Jack saw it go by?

(b) What is the height between the two window ledges?

Physics news on Phys.org
riseofphoenix said:
2. An object undergoes uniformly accelerated motion from point x1 = 6 m at time t1 = 3 s to point x2 = 40 m at time t2 = 7 s. (The direction of motion of the object does not change.)

(a) If the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity at t1 is v1 = 2 m/s, what is the instantaneous velocity v2 at time t2?

______ m/s

(b) Determine the magnitude of the instantaneous acceleration of the object at time t2.

______ m

I've been at this problem for 4 hours straight and I keep getting it marked as wrong...can someone please solve this for me -.- I've literally wasted so much time on this one and the one below...

3. Jack and Jill are on two different floors of their high rise office building and looking out of their respective windows. Jack sees a flower pot go past his window ledge and Jill sees the same pot go past her window ledge a little while later. The time between the two observed events was 4.6 s. Assume air resistance is negligible.

(a) If the speed of the pot as it passes Jill's window is 59.0 m/s, what was its speed when Jack saw it go by?

(b) What is the height between the two window ledges?

Please follow the posting template. If you've been at it for four hours you should have some idea about the relevant equations. Can you present an attempt? We have to see what you've tried in order to know how to help.

Related to Complicated Physics problem involving velocity and acceleration

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. In simpler terms, velocity is the speed and direction of an object, while acceleration is the change in velocity over time.

2. How do you calculate velocity and acceleration?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

3. What is the formula for solving a complicated physics problem involving velocity and acceleration?

The formula for solving a complicated physics problem involving velocity and acceleration is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. How does velocity affect acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are directly related. An increase in velocity results in a greater acceleration, while a decrease in velocity results in a lower acceleration. However, the direction of the velocity and acceleration must also be taken into account.

5. Can velocity and acceleration be negative?

Yes, both velocity and acceleration can be negative. If an object is moving in the opposite direction of a positive reference point, its velocity and acceleration will be negative. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration or a decrease in speed.