Component method vector problem

In summary, the resultant force has a direction of 20.1 degrees above the positive x-axis and a magnitude of 527N. This was determined using the component method by breaking down the three given forces into their x and y components, and then adding them together to find the resulting force. The calculations used were verified and found to be correct.
ur5pointos2sl
Use the component method to find the resultant(direction and magnitude) of the three forces shown.

Could someone please verify my answers or tell me where I went wrong.

Ax = 500 Cos 30 = -433N
Ay = 500 Sin 30 = -250N
Bx=-250 N
By= 0
Cx=200 Cos 20 = 187.9N
Cy= 200 Sin 20 = 68.4N

R = (-433-250+187.9)I + (-250 + 0 + 68.4)j
= (-495.1, -181.6)
R = sqrt(-495.1^2 + -181.6^2)
= 527N

Tan Theta = 318.4 / 370.9
Theta = 20.1 deg.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org

ur5pointos2sl said:
Use the component method to find the resultant(direction and magnitude) of the three forces shown.

Could someone please verify my answers or tell me where I went wrong.

Ax = 500 Cos 30 = -433N
Ay = 500 Sin 30 = -250N
Bx=-250 N
By= 0
Cx=200 Cos 20 = 187.9N
Cy= 200 Sin 20 = 68.4N

R = (-433-250+187.9)I + (-250 + 0 + 68.4)j
= (-495.1, -181.6)
R = sqrt(-495.1^2 + -181.6^2)
= 527N
That seems right.

Tan Theta = 318.4 / 370.9
Theta = 20.1 deg.
Looks like the "318" and "370" are typos, and that you actually (and correctly) used 181.6/495.1 instead.

You'll also need to specify which half-axis that angle is measured from (+x, +y, -x, or -y), and whether the angle is above/below/right/left of that half-axis.

If you don't specify that, people normally assume it's from the +x axis, in the counterclockwise direction.

Your calculations and method appear to be correct. To verify, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant force:

R = sqrt((-495.1)^2 + (-181.6)^2) = 527N

To find the direction of the resultant force, you can use the inverse tangent function:

Theta = arctan(318.4/370.9) = 20.1 degrees

Therefore, the resultant force has a magnitude of 527N and a direction of 20.1 degrees, as you have calculated. Great job!

Related to Component method vector problem

1. What is the component method vector problem?

The component method vector problem is a mathematical problem in which a vector is broken down into its x and y components in order to solve for its magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze forces and motion in two-dimensional systems.

2. How do you find the x and y components of a vector using the component method?

To find the x and y components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. First, determine the angle that the vector makes with the x-axis. Then, use the cosine function to find the x component and the sine function to find the y component.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that is fully described by its magnitude, such as mass or temperature. A vector quantity, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force. In the component method vector problem, vectors are represented by arrows pointing in a specific direction.

4. Can the component method be used for vectors in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the component method can be used for vectors in three-dimensional space as well. In this case, the vector would have three components: x, y, and z. The same trigonometric functions can be used to find the components, with the addition of the tangent function for the z component.

5. What are some real-world applications of the component method vector problem?

The component method vector problem has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to analyze forces and motion in two- and three-dimensional systems, determine the trajectory of projectiles, and create 3D animations and simulations. It is also used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to determine the direction and speed of movement.