Component of a infinitesimal strain tensor

This equation takes into account the direction of the strain gages and the rectangular Cartesian coordinate system. In summary, To find E12, rotate the strain tensor E for 60° or 120° and take its E'11 component as the given elongation at 60° or 120° respectively. Then use the equation E12 = a*cos(60°) + b*cos(120°) + c*cos(180°) to calculate the strain component E12, which takes into account the direction of the strain gages and the rectangular Cartesian coordinate system.
nikolafmf
I have the folowing continuum mechanics problem which I can't solve:

The unit elongations at a certain point on the surface of a body are measured experimentally by means of strain gages that are arranged at 60° in the direction of 0°, 60° and 120°. Coordinate system is rectangular Cartesian, defined by e1 at 0° and e2 at 90°. If the unit elongations are designated by a, b, c, respectively, what is the strain component E12?

Now I know how to calculate elongation in a certain direction n: it is nEn, where E is written in the coordinate system given above, E is the infinitesimal strain tensor. But what is E12?

Now my idea is to rotate tensor E for 60, or 120 degrees and to take its E'11 component as the given elongation at 60, or 120 degress respectively. From that should be possible to find E12.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I right? If not, can you explain me how to find E12? Yes, you are right. To find E12, you need to rotate the strain tensor E for 60° or 120° and take its E'11 component as the given elongation at 60° or 120° respectively. Then use the following equation to calculate E12: E12 = a*cos(60°) + b*cos(120°) + c*cos(180°).

Related to Component of a infinitesimal strain tensor

1. What is a component of an infinitesimal strain tensor?

A component of an infinitesimal strain tensor is a mathematical term used in the field of mechanics to describe the deformation of a solid body. It represents the change in length or angle of a body due to applied forces.

2. How is a component of an infinitesimal strain tensor calculated?

A component of an infinitesimal strain tensor is calculated by taking the derivative of the displacement vector with respect to the coordinates of the body. This is typically done using partial derivatives and can be represented using a matrix or tensor notation.

3. What does each component of an infinitesimal strain tensor represent?

Each component of an infinitesimal strain tensor represents a specific type of deformation, such as extension, compression, or shear. The exact meaning of each component can vary depending on the coordinate system used.

4. What are the units of a component of an infinitesimal strain tensor?

The units of a component of an infinitesimal strain tensor are typically expressed in terms of length per length (e.g. mm/mm or m/m). This is because it represents the change in length or angle per unit length of the body.

5. What is the significance of an infinitesimal strain tensor in mechanics?

An infinitesimal strain tensor is important in mechanics because it allows engineers and scientists to analyze the deformation of solid bodies under different types of loads. It is a fundamental concept in continuum mechanics and is used to study the behavior of materials under stress and strain.