Composite function and definite integration

In summary: They want an estimate. :smile:In summary, to find the integral of f(f(x)) from 1/4 to 3/4, one can use the substitution x=u+1/2 and then use the fact that f(f(x)) is an odd function. This allows for simplification of the integral and estimation of the answer by using a rectangle with height f(f(1/2)) and width 3/4-1/4. This method is much faster than expanding the function and can provide an exact solution if needed.
Saitama

Homework Statement

[tex]f(x)=x^3-\frac{3x^2}{2}+x+\frac{1}{4}[/tex]
find[tex]\int_{\frac{1}{4}}^{\frac{3}{4}} f(f(x))dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am clueless here. I started by writing f(f(x)) as
[tex](f(x))^3-\frac{3(f(x))^2}{2}+f(x)+\frac{1}{4}[/tex]
I don't think expanding (f(x))^3 would be of any use because this question is from a test paper and it would take a long time if i expanded (f(x))^3 and the other terms. I don't have any idea how to proceed. I observed that the f(x) is always an increasing function, therefore only one real root for f(x) exist but i don't think that would be of any use here.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Pranav-Arora!

Is this about a multiple choice perhaps?

Then you'd be supposed to make an estimate (using inscribed rectangles) and match the answer.
Or alternatively make a drawing and measure the area.

I agree that expanding everything is rather time consuming.

Hey ILS! :smile:

I like Serena said:
Is this about a multiple choice perhaps?
Nope, this question was from a section where the answer is an integer from 0 to 9.

Then you'd be supposed to make an estimate (using inscribed rectangles) and match the answer.
Or alternatively make a drawing and measure the area.
I don't understand why are you talking about rectangles here. Maybe i could estimate the area using the graph separately for (f(x))^3 and (f(x))^2.

Isn't there any proper method to get an exact answer?

Ah, so you do have at least some limitation on the acceptable answers.

An integral is the area under a graph.
220px-Integral_as_region_under_curve.svg.png

A first estimate is the area of the rectangle that has a height equal to a point on the graph, and a width equal to the boundaries.
Somewhat like this (for an integral with boundaries 0.5 and 1.5):
http://www.livemath.com/hoffnercalculus/preview/Chapter%206/Chpt6_Resources/image37.gif

In your case you could take f(f(1/2)) as the height and (3/4 - 1/4) as the width.
I believe that will suffice to find the proper answer, since that has to be an integer.

The method to get the exact answer is exactly what you were already doing.
I do not see ways to significantly speed up that process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Is there a typo? I do not think that integral is an integer.
Are you familiar with

[tex](b-a)L\le \int_a^b f(x) dx \le (b-a)U[/tex]
where U and L are numbers such that
L<f<U

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

[tex]f(x)=x^3-\frac{3x^2}{2}+x+\frac{1}{4}[/tex]find[tex]\int_{\frac{1}{4}}^{\frac{3}{4}} f(f(x))dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am clueless here. I started by writing f(f(x)) as[tex](f(x))^3-\frac{3(f(x))^2}{2}+f(x)+\frac{1}{4}[/tex]I don't think expanding (f(x))^3 would be of any use because this question is from a test paper and it would take a long time if i expanded (f(x))^3 and the other terms. I don't have any idea how to proceed. I observed that the f(x) is always an increasing function, therefore only one real root for f(x) exist but i don't think that would be of any use here.

Any help is appreciated!
There are several things to notice here.

The point, (1/2, 1/2), is a fixed point. So, f(1/2) = 1/2, and f(f(1/2)) = 1/2 .

Also, the point, (1/2, 1/2) is a point of inflection for f(x), and f(x) is a cubic function, so the graph, y = f(x) is invariant under a 180° rotation about the fixed point, (1/2, 1/2). In other words, if you shift the graph, y = f(x), to the left by 1/2 and down by 1/2, the resulting graph, y = f(x + 1/2) - 1/2 is symmetric with respect to the origin.

Thus, the function, g(x) = f(x + 1/2) - 1/2 is an odd function, actually an odd cubic function.

The function, g(g(x)), is also an odd function, so [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-1/4}^{1/4}g(g(x))\,dx=0\ .[/itex]

You can also show, graphically or otherwise, that y=g(g(x)) is a shifted version of y=f(f(x)) .

So I like Serena's idea of using a rectangle is relevant.

Better yet:

Define [itex]\displaystyle g(x) = f(x+(1/2)) - 1/2[/itex], which is an odd (cubic) function.

Now for the integral [itex]\displaystyle \int_{1/4}^{3/4}f(f(x))\,dx\ :[/itex]

Do the substitution x = u + 1/2, then dx = du. x = 1/4, 3/4 becomes u = -1/4, 1/4 .

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{1/4}^{3/4}f(f(x))\,dx[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f(f(u + 1/2))\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f(f(u + 1/2))-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f(f(u + 1/2))-\frac{1}{2}\,du+\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f\left(f(u + 1/2)-1/2 +\frac{1}{2}\right)-\frac{1}{2}\,du+\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f\left(g(u) +\frac{1}{2}\right)-\frac{1}{2}\,du+\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}g(g(u))\,du+\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]

Likes 1 person
I did not analyze as far as you did, but if I understand you correctly, the area of the rectangle is equal to the exact solution. ;)
And indeed, that is not a whole number.

I like Serena said:
I did not analyze as far as you did, but if I understand you correctly, the area of the rectangle is equal to the exact solution. ;)
And indeed, that is not a whole number.
Yes, that's correct.

It is the reciprocal of a whole number.

Woops, sorry for a late reply.

lurflurf said:
Is there a typo? I do not think that integral is an integer.
Sorry, there is a typo. The reciprocal of the definite integral is the answer.
lurflurf said:
Are you familiar with

[tex](b-a)L\le \int_a^b f(x) dx \le (b-a)U[/tex]
where U and L are numbers such that
L<f<U

Yes, i am familiar with that. Thanks for that, this might be useful to estimate the answer. :smile:

SammyS said:
There are several things to notice here.

The point, (1/2, 1/2), is a fixed point. So, f(1/2) = 1/2, and f(f(1/2)) = 1/2 .

Also, the point, (1/2, 1/2) is a point of inflection for f(x), and f(x) is a cubic function, so the graph, y = f(x) is invariant under a 180° rotation about the fixed point, (1/2, 1/2). In other words, if you shift the graph, y = f(x), to the left by 1/2 and down by 1/2, the resulting graph, y = f(x + 1/2) - 1/2 is symmetric with respect to the origin.

Thus, the function, g(x) = f(x + 1/2) - 1/2 is an odd function, actually an odd cubic function.

The function, g(g(x)), is also an odd function, so [itex]\displaystyle \int_{-1/4}^{1/4}g(g(x))\,dx=0\ .[/itex]

You can also show, graphically or otherwise, that y=g(g(x)) is a shifted version of y=f(f(x)) .

So I like Serena's idea of using a rectangle is relevant.
Nicely explained SammyS. :smile:

SammyS said:
Better yet:

Define [itex]\displaystyle g(x) = f(x+(1/2)) - 1/2[/itex], which is an odd (cubic) function.

Now for the integral [itex]\displaystyle \int_{1/4}^{3/4}f(f(x))\,dx\ :[/itex]

Do the substitution x = u + 1/2, then dx = du. x = 1/4, 3/4 becomes u = -1/4, 1/4 .

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{1/4}^{3/4}f(f(x))\,dx[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f(f(u + 1/2))\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f(f(u + 1/2))-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f(f(u + 1/2))-\frac{1}{2}\,du+\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f\left(f(u + 1/2)-1/2 +\frac{1}{2}\right)-\frac{1}{2}\,du+\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}f\left(g(u) +\frac{1}{2}\right)-\frac{1}{2}\,du+\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}g(g(u))\,du+\int_{-1/4}^{1/4}\frac{1}{2}\,du[/itex]
Excellent! How do they expect us to think like this and that too in the examination room.
The solution would be take me some time to understand it completely, i will get back to this thread if i get stuck.

I will mention it again, there's a typo. The answer is the reciprocal of the value of the definite integral.

Last edited:

Related to Composite function and definite integration

1. What is a composite function?

A composite function is a combination of two or more functions, where the output of one function is used as the input for another function. It is denoted by f(g(x)), where g(x) is the inner function and f(x) is the outer function.

2. How do you evaluate a composite function?

To evaluate a composite function at a specific value of x, you first need to evaluate the inner function at that value. Then, take the output of the inner function and use it as the input for the outer function. The resulting output is the value of the composite function at that x value.

3. What is the chain rule for composite functions?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function f(g(x)) is equal to the derivative of the outer function f'(g(x)) multiplied by the derivative of the inner function g'(x).

4. What is definite integration?

Definite integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve bounded by two specific values of x. It involves finding the antiderivative of a function and then evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration, and taking the difference between the two values.

5. How do you find the definite integral of a composite function?

To find the definite integral of a composite function, you first need to find the antiderivative of the function. Then, you plug in the upper and lower limits of integration and take the difference between the two values. If the limits of integration are in terms of the inner function, you will need to use the chain rule to find the antiderivative before evaluating it at the limits.