Composition of Two Isometries, Rotation & Glide Reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the compositions R°G and G°R, which involve rotation and glide reflection transformations. The question also asks for the characterization of these compositions and how to verify a specific matrix equation for a glide reflection with a translation. The speaker is confused about the results and calculations and is unsure how to account for them.
zhandele

Homework Statement

R is a rotation around the origin by ∏/4, G is a glide reflection; the reflection is across y=x and the glide is by (2,2). Find the compositions R°G and G°R and characterize them. If you find a glide reflection, specify both the mirror line and the "glide" vector.

Homework Equations

See attachments ...

The Attempt at a Solution

Both of these seem to come out reflections followed by translations, but neither is a glide reflection (the glide isn't parallel to the mirror line). I'm confused about two things. First, the way the question is worded leads me to expect that at least one of these should be a glide reflection, but I can't see that either is. Again, in the case of R°G, if you look at the GSP results, the measurements don't jibe with my calculations. I really don't know how to account for this.

Attachments

• 0702000 Glide Reflection Matrix Composition.pdf
    51.7 KB · Views: 662
  • 0702000 Glide Reflection Matrix-A p4.pdf
    94 KB · Views: 240
  • 0702000 Glide Reflection Matrix-A p3.pdf
    82 KB · Views: 281
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you verify that the matrix equation [x',y']=[0 1 0 1][x y] + [sqrt 2 sqrt 2] is a glide reflection along the diagonal y=x with a translation of 2 units in the northeast direction?

Related to Composition of Two Isometries, Rotation & Glide Reflection

What is the composition of two isometries?

The composition of two isometries is the combination of two transformations that preserve the size and shape of an object. This can include a rotation, reflection, or translation.

What is a rotation isometry?

A rotation isometry is a transformation that rotates an object around a fixed point by a certain angle. It preserves the size and shape of the object and the distance between any two points on the object remains the same.

What is a glide reflection isometry?

A glide reflection isometry is a combination of a reflection and a translation. It reflects an object across a line and then translates the object parallel to the line. This transformation preserves the size and shape of the object.

How are rotation and glide reflection related?

Rotation and glide reflection are both types of isometries, meaning they preserve the size and shape of an object. They are related in that a glide reflection can be thought of as a rotation followed by a translation.

What is the difference between a rotation and a reflection?

A rotation is a transformation that rotates an object around a fixed point, while a reflection is a transformation that mirrors an object across a line. Both preserve the size and shape of the object, but the direction of movement is different.