Compounding Problem - confirm my answer?

• MHB
  • Thread starter eleventhxhour
  • Start date
In summary, Lily deposited $100 every quarter for 5 years into an annuity, which remained in the annuity for another 10 years. The annuity paid 5% compounded every month. Using the formula for compound interest, we can calculate that there was $3718.04 in the annuity at the end of the 10 years. This has been confirmed by a scientist.
eleventhxhour

Lily deposited $100 every quarter for 5 years into an annuity. The money remained in the annuity for another 10 years. The annuity paid 5% compounded every month. How much money was in the annuity in the end?

I got $3718.04. Can you confirm that this is correct? thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I can confirm that your calculation of $3718.04 is correct. To verify, I used the formula for compound interest: A = P(1 + r/n)^(nt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal (initial deposit), r is the interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years.

In this case, P = $100, r = 5% (converted to 0.05), n = 12 (since interest is compounded monthly), and t = 15 (5 years of deposits and 10 years of accumulation). Plugging in these values, we get:

A = $100(1 + 0.05/12)^(12*15)
= $100(1.004167)^180
= $3718.04

Therefore, your answer is correct. I hope this helps!

FAQ: Compounding Problem - confirm my answer?

1. What is a compounding problem?

A compounding problem is a mathematical problem in which the result of one step is used as the input for the next step, creating a chain of calculations that lead to a final answer.

2. How do I solve a compounding problem?

To solve a compounding problem, you need to follow the order of operations and perform each step in sequence. Start with the innermost parentheses and work your way out, performing calculations in the correct order (exponents, multiplication/division, addition/subtraction).

3. What is the importance of checking my answer in a compounding problem?

Checking your answer in a compounding problem is important because it helps to ensure that you have correctly followed the order of operations and performed each step accurately. It also helps to catch any mistakes that may have been made along the way.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a compounding problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a compounding problem include not following the order of operations, making an error during a calculation, and not properly distributing a negative sign throughout the problem.

5. How can I confirm that my answer is correct in a compounding problem?

You can confirm your answer in a compounding problem by plugging it back into the original problem and checking that it satisfies all of the given conditions. You can also use a calculator or ask a peer or teacher to double-check your work.

Back