Compressibility Factor Pressure For Calculating Fan Power

In summary, the correct type of pressure (static or total) used in the compressibility factor, KP, when calculating fan power is dependent on the gas velocities produced by the fan.
Aperture Labs
What is the correct type of pressure (static or total) used in the compressibility factor, KP, when calculating fan power? Howden's Fan Engineering book seems to indicate total pressures should be used, but I also have a PDF from Howden that indicates static pressures should be used. Online searching has shown mixed answers. For my calculation, I did it both ways and the difference was small enough to be considered negligible by engineering judgement, however, I would still like to know the correct calculation.

The equations I am using are:

H = (Q*PT*KP) / (6356*NT)

Where,

H = fan shaft power [hp]
NT = fan total efficiency [%]
Q = fan inlet volumetric flow [acfm]
PT = fan total pressure [in. w.c.]
6356 is a conversion factor
KP = compressibility factor [dimensionless]

KP = [itex]\gamma[/itex]/([itex]\gamma[/itex]-1) * [(p2/p1)^(([itex]\gamma[/itex]-1)/[itex]\gamma)[/itex]-1] / ((p2/p1)-1)

Where,

p2 = total or static pressure at the fan outlet [in. w.c.]
p1 = total or static pressure at the fan inlet [in. w.c.]

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's going to depend on what velocities are produced by the fan. In flow calculations, a gas can be treated like an incompressible fluid when the flow velocity is below 0.3 M (for air at sea lever, 0.3 M is about 100 m/s).

1.) Are you saying that if my gas velocities have a Mach # less than 0.3 I may treat the gas as incompressible with negligible difference in results, and the KP factor does not need to be considered?

2.) Per my work standards I'm required to treat it as compressible. So even if #1 above is correct, I'm still stuck trying to figure out if I should use total or static pressures in the compressibility equation.

3.) A small addendum to the compressibility factor equation shown in blue:

KP = γ/(γ-1) * [(p2/p1)^((γ-1)/γ)-1] / ((p2/p1)-1)

Where,

p2 = total or static absolute pressure at the fan outlet [in. w.c.]
p1 = total or static absolute pressure at the fan inlet [in. w.c.]​

Related to Compressibility Factor Pressure For Calculating Fan Power

1. What is the compressibility factor?

The compressibility factor is a dimensionless ratio that compares the actual volume of a gas to the theoretical volume of an ideal gas at the same temperature and pressure. It is used to correct for the deviation of real gases from ideal gas behavior.

2. How is the compressibility factor calculated?

The compressibility factor is calculated by dividing the actual volume of a gas by the theoretical volume of an ideal gas at the same temperature and pressure. This can be represented by the equation Z = V_actual / V_ideal.

3. Why is the compressibility factor important for calculating fan power?

The compressibility factor is important for calculating fan power because it helps account for the decrease in air density at higher pressures. This decrease in density affects the amount of work that a fan must do to move a given volume of air, and therefore impacts the power required for the fan to operate.

4. How does pressure affect the compressibility factor?

Pressure has a significant impact on the compressibility factor. As pressure increases, the compressibility factor decreases, indicating that the gas is becoming more ideal. At low pressures, gases behave more like ideal gases and have a compressibility factor close to 1. At higher pressures, gas molecules are closer together and exhibit more non-ideal behavior, resulting in a lower compressibility factor.

5. What factors can affect the compressibility factor?

The compressibility factor can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of gas. Additionally, the compressibility factor may also be influenced by the composition of the gas mixture, the presence of impurities, and the degree of intermolecular forces between gas molecules.