Compressor aftercooler power load

In summary, the conversation is about using a compressor aftercooler to lower the outlet temperature to 50ºC. The person tried to calculate the heat load needed for this and found that with some moisture, the mass rate would be 30kg/h and the enthalpy change would be 6000kJ/h. However, they are confused as the compressor input power is only 0.5kW but the heat load needed is 1.6kW. They are seeking help to understand where they went wrong in their calculations.
rulmismo
Hi,

I want to use a compressor aftercooler and to size it I tried to calculate the heat load needed for lowering the outlet Tª to about 50ºC.

I was checking the heat load of compressed air at 7bar 100L/min, the compressor manufacturer says outlet Tª should be about 150ºC. Input electrical power is 0,5kW.

with some moisture it gives to me like about 30kg/h of mass rate and about 6000kJ/h rate of enthalpy change (from 540 kJ/kg of air at 7bar 150ºC+some water to 342Kj/kg of air at 7 bar at 50ºC)

I think I did some step really wrong because it doesn´t make sense that compressor input power is 0,5kW (electrical) and heat load to "pull" from the aftercooler gives about 1.6kW (6000kJ/h * 1E3 J/kJ / 3600 s/h) ¿?

Please help me understand what I did wrong.

Tahnks and regards!
Rulmismo

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

FAQ: Compressor aftercooler power load

1. What is a compressor aftercooler power load?

A compressor aftercooler power load refers to the amount of power that is required to operate the aftercooler in a compressor system. The aftercooler is responsible for cooling down the compressed air before it is used in various applications.

2. Why is it important to consider the compressor aftercooler power load?

The compressor aftercooler power load is important because it can significantly affect the efficiency and performance of the compressor system. An incorrectly sized aftercooler can lead to higher energy consumption and increased operating costs.

3. How is the compressor aftercooler power load calculated?

The compressor aftercooler power load is calculated by multiplying the air flow rate in cubic feet per minute (CFM) by the temperature difference between the inlet and outlet air in degrees Fahrenheit, and then dividing by 1,000 to get the power in kilowatts (kW).

4. What factors can affect the compressor aftercooler power load?

The compressor aftercooler power load can be affected by several factors, including the ambient temperature, inlet air temperature and pressure, humidity levels, air flow rate, and the type and size of the compressor.

5. How can the compressor aftercooler power load be reduced?

The compressor aftercooler power load can be reduced by ensuring that the aftercooler is properly sized for the compressor system, using a more efficient aftercooler design, and minimizing pressure drops in the system. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the aftercooler can also help to reduce the power load.