Compton effect photo scatterred

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum possible energy loss of a photon with a wavelength of 29 pm scattered by a stationary electron. The solution involves using the equation ΔE = h(c/Δλ) and setting the angle at 180 degrees. The final answer is 4.095x10-14 joules, which can be converted to eV by dividing by 1.6x10-16.
negation

Homework Statement

A photon of wavelength 29 pm is scattered by a stationary electron. What is the maximum possible energy loss of the photon?
(mass of electron = 9.11 × 10-31 kg, h = 6.626 × 10^-34 J · s, c = 3.00 × 10^8 m/s)

The Attempt at a Solution

After an hour or so, I'm not getting the right answer.

29pm = 29x10-11m

Ei = Ef + KE

Ei - Ef = ΔE = h(c/Δλ)

I set Θ = 180 and worked out

λf = (h/mec)(1-cosΘ) + λi =
4.854212x10-12m

ΔE = 6.626x10-34 (3x108/4.854212x10-12)
= 4.095x10-14 j

to convert to eV, i divided the above by 1.6 x10-16 but it doesn't give me the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

A photon of wavelength 29 pm is scattered by a stationary electron. What is the maximum possible energy loss of the photon?
(mass of electron = 9.11 × 10-31 kg, h = 6.626 × 10^-34 J · s, c = 3.00 × 10^8 m/s)

The Attempt at a Solution

After an hour or so, I'm not getting the right answer.

29pm = 29x10-11m

Ei = Ef + KE

Ei - Ef = ΔE = h(c/Δλ)

I set Θ = 180 and worked out

λf = (h/mec)(1-cosΘ) + λi =
4.854212x10-12m

ΔE = 6.626x10-34 (3x108/4.854212x10-12)
= 4.095x10-14 j

to convert to eV, i divided the above by 1.6 x10-16 but it doesn't give me the correct answer.

Edit: I have it now.

Hi, could you post your step by step solution? I cannot seem to get the answer

bababong said:
Hi, could you post your step by step solution? I cannot seem to get the answer
Edit: I got it.

Related to Compton effect photo scatterred

What is the Compton effect photo scattered?

The Compton effect, also known as Compton scattering, is a phenomenon in which a photon (particle of light) interacts with an electron, resulting in a decrease in the energy and an increase in the wavelength of the photon. This process was first observed by Arthur Compton in 1923, and it provided evidence for the particle nature of light.

What causes the Compton effect photo scattered?

The Compton effect is caused by the interaction between a photon and an electron. When a high-energy photon collides with an electron, the energy and momentum of the photon are transferred to the electron, causing it to recoil. This results in a decrease in the energy and an increase in the wavelength of the scattered photon.

What is the significance of the Compton effect photo scattered?

The Compton effect is significant because it provides evidence for the dual nature of light (both particle and wave), as well as for the concept of energy-momentum conservation. It also has important applications in fields such as medical imaging and materials science.

What is the difference between the Compton effect and the photoelectric effect?

Both the Compton effect and the photoelectric effect involve the interaction between photons and electrons, but they differ in the mechanism of energy transfer. In the photoelectric effect, the entire energy of the photon is transferred to the electron, causing it to be ejected from the material. In the Compton effect, only a portion of the photon's energy is transferred to the electron, resulting in a change in the photon's energy and wavelength.

How does the Compton effect relate to the concept of X-rays?

X-rays are a form of electromagnetic radiation that have a higher energy and shorter wavelength than visible light. The Compton effect explains why X-rays have a longer wavelength and lower energy after passing through matter, as they undergo scattering interactions with electrons in the material. This is the basis for the use of X-rays in imaging techniques such as X-ray crystallography and medical X-rays.