Compton Scattering Concept Question

In summary: Thanks for clearing that up.In summary, the tread opener thought of the photon as a point particle only.
godtripp
Hi,

I had an issue with compton scattering that I never received a satisfactory answer for. My issue was that after the collision, there exists a y component of momentum... but all diagrams of the compton effect align the axis center to center from the photon to the electron and on top of that each are dimensionless point particles.

So where does this y-component come from? Does the wave nature of the photon give the particle some y component of momentum or is it all in the x direction?

Hope i was clear enough...thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
An electron and a photon are not point particles. If they were, the classical description would be eneough, instead you know that QM is required.
Also note that the concept "being a point particle" depends on the kind and energy of the interaction too.

If I understand you correctly you wonder why there can be a y-component of the momentum after the collision when the incident photon only has momentum in the x-direction.

The answer is that the total momentum in the y-direction after the collision is the same as before, zero. The momenta of the electron and the photon together add up to zero after the collision. This is essentialy analogous to one billiard ball hitting another - the two balls may go off in different directions (i.e. not straight forward) after the collision even though the incoming ball only travels in the 'straight forward'-direction. Was that answer to your question?

Also, as far as we know today, the electron is point-like and has no internal structure (of course this might change with future theories). The photon on the other hand is a different story. It shows a so called wave-particle duality, behaving both as a particle and a wave.

Thanks for your answers guys!

kloptok said:
Also, as far as we know today, the electron is point-like and has no internal structure (of course this might change with future theories). The photon on the other hand is a different story. It shows a so called wave-particle duality, behaving both as a particle and a wave.
Only the photon has wave-particle duality? :smile:

lightarrow said:
Only the photon has wave-particle duality? :smile:

Dang, you got me! :blushing: The thing was that I got the impression that the tread opener only thought of the photon as a point particle. But sure, the electron, as every particle, shows particle as well as wave behavior.

Last edited:

Related to Compton Scattering Concept Question

What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (usually X-ray or gamma ray) interacts with an electron, transferring some of its energy to the electron and causing it to recoil. The scattered photon will have a longer wavelength and lower energy than the original photon.

How does Compton scattering contribute to our understanding of light?

Compton scattering provides evidence for the particle nature of light, as it shows that photons can transfer energy and momentum to other particles. It also supports the concept of wave-particle duality, as photons can both behave like waves and particles.

What is the Compton wavelength?

The Compton wavelength is a fundamental constant of nature that represents the distance over which an electron can interact with a photon through Compton scattering. It is equal to approximately 2.43 × 10^-12 meters.

How is Compton scattering used in practical applications?

Compton scattering is used in various applications such as medical imaging (CT scans), airport security (X-ray scanners), and materials analysis (X-ray diffraction). It is also used in research to study the structure of materials and to measure the energies of photons.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic scattering?

Elastic scattering refers to a collision between a photon and an electron where no energy is lost and the photon's wavelength remains unchanged. Inelastic scattering, on the other hand, involves a transfer of energy and a resulting change in the photon's wavelength. Compton scattering is an example of inelastic scattering.