Compton scattering - no solution from quadratic eq? What to do?

In summary, the problem involves an incoming photon scattering off an electron and then heading at an angle of ##\phi=120^\circ##. The Compton formula is used to calculate the change in wavelength, ##\Delta \lambda##, which is equal to ##3.65pm##. However, when trying to solve for the wavelength of the incoming photon, a quadratic equation is obtained with a negative number under the square root, indicating that there is no solution. This is because the calculation neglected to include the rest energy of the electron, which must be taken into account when calculating the final energy of the electron. An alternate approach to solving the problem is suggested by using the fact that the final energy of the photon is half the initial
71GA

Homework Statement

Incomming photon gives half of its energy to an electron during scatering. After scattering, photon is headed ##\phi=120^\circ## according to the original direction. What is the ##\lambda## of the incomming photon?

Homework Equations

\begin{align}
\Delta \lambda &= \frac{h}{m_ec}(1-\cos\phi)\\
W_{before} &= W_{after}
\end{align}

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the ##\Delta \lambda = \frac{h}{m_e c} (1 - \cos \phi) = 3.65pm## and then wrote the energy conservation equation which i evolved into an quadratic equation:

\begin{align}
W_{before} &=W_{after}\\
W_f + m_ec^2 &= W_f' +W_e\\
W_f + m_ec^2 &= W_f' +\tfrac{1}{2}W_f\longleftarrow\substack{\text{I used the fact that photon gives}\\\text{half of its energy to an electron} }\\
m_e c^2 &= W_f' - \tfrac{1}{2}W_f\\
m_ec^2 &= hc \left(\frac{1}{\lambda'} - \frac{1}{2\lambda}\right)\\
m_ec^2 &= hc \left(\frac{1}{\lambda + \Delta \lambda} - \frac{1}{2\lambda}\right)\longleftarrow\substack{\text{since i know $\Delta \lambda$ which }\\\text{is defined as $\Delta \lambda = \lambda' - \lambda$}}\\
\frac{m_ec}{h} &= \frac{1}{\lambda + \Delta \lambda} - \frac{1}{2\lambda}\\
\frac{m_ec}{h} &= \frac{2\lambda - (\lambda + \Delta \lambda)}{2\lambda (\lambda + \Delta \lambda)}\\
\frac{2m_ec}{h} &= \frac{\lambda - \Delta \lambda}{\lambda^2 + \Delta \lambda \lambda}\\
\frac{2m_ec}{h} \lambda^2 + \frac{2m_ec}{h} \Delta \lambda \lambda &= \lambda - \Delta \lambda\\
\frac{2m_ec}{h} \lambda^2 + \left(\frac{2m_ec}{h} \Delta \lambda - 1 \right)\lambda + \Delta \lambda &=0\\
\underbrace{\lambda^2}_{A\equiv 1} + \underbrace{\left(\Delta \lambda - \frac{h}{2m_ec} \right)}_{\equiv B}\lambda + \underbrace{\frac{h}{2m_ec}\Delta \lambda}_{\equiv C} &=0\longleftarrow\substack{\text{I finaly got the quadratic equation}\\\text{for whom i define $A$, $B$ and $C$}}\\
\end{align}

Now i use the basic quadratic equation formula derived from "compleeting the square", and as you can see the number under the square root is negative. Does this mean there is no solution to this problem? If this is not the case did i miss something?

\begin{aligned}
\lambda &= \frac{-B \pm \sqrt{B^2 - 4AC}}{2A}\\
\lambda &= \frac{ \left( \frac{h}{2m_ec} - \Delta \lambda \right) \pm \sqrt{ \left(\Delta \lambda - \frac{h}{2m_ec} \right)^2 - 4\frac{h}{2m_ec}\Delta \lambda} }{ 2 }\\
\lambda &= \frac{-2.43\times10^{-12}m \pm \sqrt{5.92\times10^{-24}m^2 - 1.78\times10^{-23}m^2}}{2}\\
\lambda &= \frac{-2.43\times10^{-12}m \pm \sqrt{-1.19\times10^{-23}m^2}}{2}\longleftarrow\substack{\text{I get the negative number}\\\text{under the square root}}\\
\end{aligned}

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Did you leave out the "rest energy" of the electron when you wrote ##W_e = \frac{1}{2}W_f## for the final energy of the electron in the third line of your calculation?

There might be a simpler approach. The compton formula gives one equation with the two unknowns λ and λ'. See if you can get another equation for these unknown using the fact that the final energy of the photon is 1/2 the initial energy. (There's a simple equation relating energy and λ of a photon.)

TSny said:
Hello.

Did you leave out the "rest energy" of the electron when you wrote ##W_e = \frac{1}{2}W_f## for the final energy of the electron in the third line of your calculation?

There might be a simpler approach. The compton formula gives one equation with the two unknowns λ and λ'. See if you can get another equation for these unknown using the fact that the final energy of the photon is 1/2 the initial energy. (There's a simple equation relating energy and λ of a photon.)

The problem states that photon gives half of its energy to an electron so i just wrote that the energy of an electron after the collision equals the ##\tfrac{1}{2} W_f##. Ouch now i see it. The electron had to have rest energy before and after the scattering - what photon gives to an electron is all kinetic energy!

Thank you!

Related to Compton scattering - no solution from quadratic eq? What to do?

1. What is Compton Scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (particle of light) collides with an electron and transfers some of its energy to the electron, causing it to recoil and emit a new photon with less energy.

2. How does Compton Scattering relate to quadratic equations?

In the case of Compton scattering, the energy of the scattered photon can be calculated using a quadratic equation. This is because the energy of the scattered photon depends on both the initial energy of the photon and the angle at which it is scattered, which can be represented using a quadratic equation.

3. Why is there no solution from the quadratic equation in some cases of Compton Scattering?

In some cases, there may be no real solution from the quadratic equation used to calculate the energy of the scattered photon. This can happen when the initial energy of the photon is too low or when the angle of scattering is close to 180 degrees, resulting in a negative value under the square root in the equation.

4. What can be done if there is no solution from the quadratic equation?

If there is no real solution from the quadratic equation, it may indicate that the assumptions made in the equation do not accurately represent the conditions of the scattering event. In this case, other equations or models may need to be used to calculate the energy of the scattered photon.

5. Can Compton Scattering be used to study particles other than electrons?

Yes, Compton Scattering can be used to study the behavior of other particles, such as protons or neutrons. However, the equations and models used may differ depending on the properties of the particles being studied.

Back