Compute ∫√(25 - x^2) dx from 0 to 5 using an infinite Riemann Sum

Another method is to compute the Riemann sum: \sum_{i = 1}^n 5 \sqrt{1 - (i/n)^2}\cdot 5/n by using the change of variable u = i/n in the sum, which will transform it to \sum_{u = 1/n}^1 5 \sqrt{1 - u^2}\cdot 5/n. This sum can be thought of as a Riemann sum for the integral \int_0^1 5 \sqrt{1 - u^2}\,du. Then, it is known that \int_0^1 5 \sqrt{1 - u^2}\,du = 5\pi/
s3a

Homework Statement

Integrate √(25 - x^2) dx from 0 to 5 using an infinite Riemann Sum

Homework Equations

lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n i = n(n+1)/2
lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n i^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6

The Attempt at a Solution

Δx = (b - a)/n
Δx = (5 - 0)/n
Δx = 5/n

f(x_i) = √(25 - [a + iΔx]^2)
f(x_i) = √(25 - [0 + 5i/n]^2)
f(x_i) = √(25 - [5i/n]^2)
f(x_i) = √(25 - 25 i^2/n^2)
f(x_i) = √(25) √(1 - i^2/n^2)
f(x_i) = 5 √(1 - i^2/n^2)

lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n [f(x_i) Δx]
lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n [ [5 √(1 - i^2/n^2)] [5/n] ]
lim n→∞ 5/n Σ_(i=1)^n [5 √(1 - i^2/n^2)] (This is where I'm stuck.)

Is it impossible to compute the definite integral of √(25 - x^2) dx from 0 to 5 using an infinite Riemann sum (such that I have to use the regular integral method of trigonometric substitution instead)?

If it is possible, how do I proceed from where I am stuck?

Any help in getting unstuck would be GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

Integrate √(25 - x^2) dx from 0 to 5 using an infinite Riemann Sum

Homework Equations

lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n i = n(n+1)/2
lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n i^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6

The Attempt at a Solution

Δx = (b - a)/n
Δx = (5 - 0)/n
Δx = 5/n

f(x_i) = √(25 - [a + iΔx]^2)
f(x_i) = √(25 - [0 + 5i/n]^2)
f(x_i) = √(25 - [5i/n]^2)
f(x_i) = √(25 - 25 i^2/n^2)
f(x_i) = √(25) √(1 - i^2/n^2)
f(x_i) = 5 √(1 - i^2/n^2)

lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n [f(x_i) Δx]
lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n [ [5 √(1 - i^2/n^2)] [5/n] ]
lim n→∞ 5/n Σ_(i=1)^n [5 √(1 - i^2/n^2)] (This is where I'm stuck.)

Is it impossible to compute the definite integral of √(25 - x^2) dx from 0 to 5 using an infinite Riemann sum (such that I have to use the regular integral method of trigonometric substitution instead)?

If it is possible, how do I proceed from where I am stuck?

Any help in getting unstuck would be GREATLY appreciated!

Your work looks correct, but I am unaware of any way to compute ##\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum\limits_{i=1}^n5\sqrt{1-\frac{i^2}{n^2}}\frac{5}{n}## without identifying it as a definite integral (which we already know here) and doing it the "easy" way. For the record the "easy" way involves knowing what the graph of ##y=\sqrt{25-x^2}## is along with some very basic geometry.

Also, I'm not a fan of the terminology "infinite Riemann sum". Riemann sums are finite. Integrals are defined to be limits of Riemann sums. There are no infinite Riemann sums.

One method is, in effect, to prove a special case of the fundamental theorem by finding an antiderivative [itex]F: [0,5] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] of [itex]\sqrt{25 - x^2}[/itex] and applying the mean value theorem to [itex]F[/itex] on each subinterval of an arbitrary partition to conclude that [tex]
\int_0^5 \sqrt{25 - x^2}\,dx = F(5) - F(0).[/tex]

Related to Compute ∫√(25 - x^2) dx from 0 to 5 using an infinite Riemann Sum

What is an infinite Riemann Sum?

An infinite Riemann Sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve by breaking it into infinitely many smaller rectangles and summing their areas. As the number of rectangles approaches infinity, the approximation becomes more accurate.

Why is an infinite Riemann Sum used to compute integrals?

An infinite Riemann Sum is used because it provides a more accurate approximation of the area under a curve compared to using a finite number of rectangles. As the number of rectangles approaches infinity, the approximation becomes closer to the exact value of the integral.

What is the formula for computing an infinite Riemann Sum?

The formula for computing an infinite Riemann Sum is given by the limit as the number of rectangles approaches infinity of the sum of the function evaluated at each rectangle's midpoint multiplied by the width of the rectangle.

How do you compute ∫√(25 - x^2) dx using an infinite Riemann Sum?

To compute ∫√(25 - x^2) dx using an infinite Riemann Sum, we first break the interval of integration, in this case from 0 to 5, into infinitely many smaller intervals. Then, we find the midpoint of each interval and evaluate the function at that point. Finally, we multiply the function value by the width of the interval and take the limit as the number of intervals approaches infinity.

What is the significance of using an infinite Riemann Sum to compute this integral?

The significance of using an infinite Riemann Sum to compute this integral is that it gives us a more accurate approximation of the area under the curve compared to using a finite number of rectangles. This is especially useful for functions that are difficult to integrate using traditional methods.