Compute Line Integral with Cauchy-Goursat Theorem

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the given line integral can be computed using the Cauchy-Goursat theorem or by parametrizing the circle and integrating the differential form. Both methods result in an integral of 0.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a question from Yahoo! Answers

Compute the following line integral. ∫a (z^2+3z+4)dz, where a is the circle |z|=2 oriented c-clockwise?
I'm not sure what the circle |z|=2 means, so I can't parametrize the circle.

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The function $f(z)=z^2+3z+4$ is holomorphic on $D=\mathbb{C}$ (simply connected) and $\gamma\equiv|z|=2$ (circle with center at the origin and radius 2) is contained in $D$. According to the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, $\int_{\gamma}f(z)dz=0$. Without using the Cauchy-Goursat theorem: we have the differential form: $$w=f(z)dz=(u+iv)(dx+idy)=\ldots=P(x,y)dx+Q(x,y)dy$$ The parametric equations of $\gamma$ are $x=2\cos t,\;y=2\sin t$ with $t\in[0,2\pi]$. Then, $$\int_{\gamma}f(z)dz=\int_{\gamma}w=\int_0^{2\pi}P(x(t),y(t))x'(t)dt+Q(x(t),y(t))y'(t)dt=\ldots=0$$

Related to Compute Line Integral with Cauchy-Goursat Theorem

1. What is the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem?

The Cauchy-Goursat Theorem is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic in a simply connected region, then the line integral of that function along any closed path within that region is equal to zero.

2. How is the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem used to compute line integrals?

The Cauchy-Goursat Theorem provides a powerful tool for computing line integrals by reducing the computation to a simple application of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This allows for the evaluation of complex line integrals without having to resort to tedious and complex calculations.

3. What is a simply connected region?

A simply connected region is a region in the complex plane that does not contain any holes or isolated points. In other words, any closed path in the region can be continuously deformed into a point without leaving the region.

4. Can the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem be applied to non-analytic functions?

No, the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem only applies to analytic functions, which are functions that can be represented by a convergent power series. If a function is not analytic, then the line integral along a closed path may not be equal to zero.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem to compute line integrals?

Yes, the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem can only be applied in regions that are simply connected and contain no singularities. If these conditions are not met, then the theorem cannot be used to compute line integrals.