Compute lower and upper sum for Riemann integral

In summary, when n=2, the upper sum and lower sum on the interval [-2,2] for the function f(x)=x^2 are 16 and 0, respectively. The difference between the two sums should be 16.
rayman123

Homework Statement

let [tex]f(x)=x^2[/tex] Calculate upper sum and lower sum on the interval [tex][-2,2][/tex] when n=2

The Attempt at a Solution

since n=2 I divide the interval into
[tex][-2,0]\cup[0,2][/tex]

then on the interval [tex][-2,0][/tex] the function [tex]f(x)=x^2[/tex] has the highest valute at [tex]x=-2, f(-2)=4=M_{0}[/tex] and the lowest value is at [tex] x=0, f(0)=0=m_{0}[/tex]

on the interval the situation is the same [tex]x=0, f(0)=0=m_{1}
[/tex](again the lowest value) ,and at [tex] x=2, f(2)=4=M_{1}[/tex](the highest value)

thus upper sum will be
[tex]S_{n}=M_{0}\cdot \Delta x+M_{1}\cdot \Delta x[/tex] where [tex]\Delta x=2[/tex]
[tex]S_{n}=4\cdot 2+4\cdot 2=16[/tex]
lower sum
[tex]s_{n}=0\cdot 2+0\cdot 2=0[/tex]
and here I am a bit confused cause in my homework it says'' if you calculated correctly then the difference between lower sum and upper sum should be 16'' well here it would not work...where do I make mistake?

any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
rayman123 said:
[tex]4\cdot 2+4\cdot 2=8[/tex]

This does not look correct...

micromass said:
This does not look correct...
it should be 16, it was a typo but this still does not show me the error

Isn't the difference between the lower sum and the upper sum 16 now??

the difference is [tex] s_{n}-S_{n}=-16[/tex]

Yeah, of course since [itex]S_n[/itex] is always larger than [itex]s_n[/itex].

But with difference, they don't literally mean [itex]s_n-S_n[/itex] here. Rather, they mean something like [itex]|s_n-S_n|[/itex].

thank you :) now I see

Related to Compute lower and upper sum for Riemann integral

1. What is a Riemann integral?

A Riemann integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a given interval. It is named after the German mathematician Bernhard Riemann and is a fundamental tool in calculus.

2. How do you compute the lower sum for a Riemann integral?

The lower sum for a Riemann integral is calculated by dividing the given interval into smaller subintervals and finding the minimum value of the function on each subinterval. Then, these minimum values are multiplied by the width of the corresponding subinterval and added together to get the lower sum.

3. How do you compute the upper sum for a Riemann integral?

The upper sum for a Riemann integral is calculated by dividing the given interval into smaller subintervals and finding the maximum value of the function on each subinterval. Then, these maximum values are multiplied by the width of the corresponding subinterval and added together to get the upper sum.

4. What is the significance of computing lower and upper sums for a Riemann integral?

Computing lower and upper sums for a Riemann integral is important because it helps to approximate the area under a curve. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the work done by a variable force or finding the total distance traveled by a moving object.

5. How do you determine the Riemann integral using lower and upper sums?

The Riemann integral is equal to the limit of the lower sums as the width of the subintervals approaches zero, which is also equal to the limit of the upper sums as the width of the subintervals approaches zero. This value is called the definite integral and represents the exact area under the curve on the given interval.

Back