Compute the mass of the marble?

In summary, using the formula Fg = G x mM/r^2, the gravitational attraction between a 20 kg cannonball and a marble separated by 30 cm is 1.48 x 10^-10 N. By rearranging the formula and plugging in the given values, we can calculate the mass of the marble to be 6.6726 x 10^-11 kg. It is important to be careful with units and show clear steps in calculations to avoid errors.
Max CR

Homework Statement

The gravitational attraction between a 20 kg cannonball and a marble separated center to center by 30 cm is 1.48 x 10^-10 N. Compute the mass of the marble.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Mc = 20 kg
L = 30 cm = 0.3 m.
Fg = 1.48 x 10^-10 N
Mm = ?

Fg = G x mM/r^2
1.48 x 10^-10 N = 9.8 m/s^2 x 20 kg x m/0.3 m^2=
1.48 x 10^-10 N/2177.78 = 2177.78 m/2177.78 =
6.796 x 10^-14 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
Fg = G x mM/r^2
1.48 x 10^-10 N = 9.8 m/s^2 x 20 kg x m/0.3 m^2

I almost agree up to there. Two questions: what are you squaring when you write 9.8 m/s^2 and 0.3 m^2? And what is G in that formula?

The rest of your post is just numerics, of which I can only guess what they came from. Can you be more specific as to what you did? For example, first do the calculation with the variables only and plug in the value only later, or at least indicate your steps (now we calculate ... = 2177.78, and plug it into ...)

Just from my intuition, I would say 10^(-14) kg is a bit light for a ball of marble.

G in that formula is gravity. Gravity is measured as 9.8 m/s^2. THanks! I know hte answer but I need to know how to get to it.

Max CR said:
G in that formula is gravity. Gravity is measured as 9.8 m/s^2.
Not quite. What we measure is [tex]g = G M_\mathrm{earth} / r_\mathrm{earth}^2 \approx 9.81[/tex] m/s^2. G is the gravitational constant which is quite something else (check your textbook).

Max CR said:
THanks! I know hte answer but I need to know how to get to it.
So you don't know the answer :smile:
Once you have found the correct value of G, please try carefully writing down the formula (brackets!), indicating your steps (21777 doesn't mean anything to me) and check your units (m/s^2 * kg^2 / m^2 is not N).

Ok I see now. So I ahve this so far and am getting the wrong answer.

Fg = G x mM/r^2

1.48 x 10^-10 N = 6.6726 m/s^2 x 20 kg x m/(0.3m)^2

1.48 x 10^-10 N/1482.8 m. = 1482.8 m./1482.8 m. =

9.98 x 10^-14 kg

This is not correct. What did I do?

The 6.6726... part is correct (rounded) but you are still missing a 10^{-11}, also the unit is not m/s^2 but m^3 / (kg s^2).

See http://www.google.nl/search?q=G

Ok. I get it now thanks!

Good :smile:

Please remember to be careful about your quantities (people don't (just) drag along the units in their calculations because it's so much fun :-p) and to write clearly (for example, between the second and third step write something like: "I calculate 6.6726 m/s^2 x 20 kg /(0.3m)^2 = 1.48 x 10^-10 / 1482.8 N/m, so ...")

Related to Compute the mass of the marble?

1. How do you compute the mass of a marble?

To compute the mass of a marble, you will need to use a scale or balance. Place the marble on the scale and record the measurement in grams. This will give you the mass of the marble.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the mass of a marble?

The unit of measurement for the mass of a marble is grams (g).

3. Can you calculate the mass of a marble if you only know its volume?

No, you cannot calculate the mass of a marble if you only know its volume. Mass and volume are two different physical properties and cannot be directly calculated from one another. However, if you know the density of the marble, you can use the formula mass = density x volume to calculate its mass.

4. Why is it important to know the mass of a marble?

Knowing the mass of a marble is important in various scientific applications such as determining the density and composition of the marble, as well as understanding its physical properties and behaviors. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and chemistry.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of computing the mass of a marble?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of computing the mass of a marble. These include the precision of the scale or balance used, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and any external forces acting on the marble during measurement. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to obtain an accurate mass measurement.