Computer or Electrical Engineering

In summary, the conversation is about a person's dilemma in choosing an engineering discipline that will help them achieve their dream of working for an automotive company. They are considering electrical engineering due to the shift towards electric power, but also wonder about computer science. Others suggest that electrical engineering would be the better choice as it is broad and can lead to a career in automotive, and they also suggest getting a master's in mechatronics. However, the person wants to first get a bachelor's and save money before pursuing further education.
iRaid
Hi everyone I have a tough choice I have to make, I still have time, but I've been thinking about it for a while now. I'm currently in my second semester at a local university. I live near Detroit and my life dream has been working for an automotive company (or at least in the automotive industry). I was wondering, which engineering disciple will give me a better chance to achieve my dream. I was thinking electrical because of the efforts to go to electric power instead of gas, but I would like some input.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't mechanical be the natural choice?

EternityMech said:
wouldn't mechanical be the natural choice?

Yes, but I prefer one of these two to mechanical. (Basically, the last on my list)

iRaid said:
Yes, but I prefer one of these two to mechanical. (Basically, the last on my list)

both are very good, but i guess electrical would be more fitting although CS is taking over the world. you can't really lose with any of them really. EE is very broad you can work anywhere really. So i would pick that if you want to work with automotives. How about EE and a Masters in Mechatronics?

EternityMech said:
both are very good, but i guess electrical would be more fitting although CS is taking over the world. you can't really lose with any of them really. EE is very broad you can work anywhere really. So i would pick that if you want to work with automotives. How about EE and a Masters in Mechatronics?

I was thinking of something like that, but I would rather get a bachelor's first and re-coop some money before I put more money into school.

FAQ: Computer or Electrical Engineering

1. What is the difference between computer engineering and electrical engineering?

Computer engineering focuses on the design and development of computer systems, including hardware and software. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. While both fields involve working with computers, computer engineering is more specialized in computer systems and their components, while electrical engineering has a broader focus on all electrical systems.

2. What skills are needed to become a successful computer or electrical engineer?

Some important skills for computer and electrical engineers include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong analytical skills. Additionally, both fields require a solid understanding of mathematics, programming languages, and technical knowledge of relevant software and hardware.

3. What career opportunities are available for computer or electrical engineers?

Both computer and electrical engineering offer a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including technology, healthcare, automotive, aerospace, and telecommunications. Some common job titles for computer engineers include software engineer, computer systems analyst, and network engineer. Electrical engineers can work as power systems engineers, control systems engineers, or telecommunications engineers, among others.

4. Is a degree in computer or electrical engineering necessary for a career in the field?

While a degree in computer or electrical engineering is not always required for entry-level positions, it is highly recommended for career advancement and to acquire the necessary technical skills and knowledge for the field. Many employers also prefer candidates with a degree in one of these fields as it demonstrates a strong foundation in the core concepts and principles.

5. How do computer and electrical engineering contribute to society?

Computer and electrical engineering play a crucial role in our modern society. These fields are responsible for the development of new technologies, such as smartphones, computers, and renewable energy sources. They also help improve and optimize existing systems, making them more efficient and accessible for everyone. Additionally, computer and electrical engineers work on solving real-world problems, such as developing medical devices and creating sustainable energy solutions, which ultimately benefit society as a whole.