Computer Simulation of Magnetic Field

In summary, the teacher suggested that I use Excel to model the magnetic field through a computer simulation, but I don't have much experience with it. I can use it to produce charts and graphs, but when it comes to mathematical equations and what not, I get kind of confused. I need to break the equation into different components and calculate the magnetic field for n=50 partitions.
dcrisci
Okay in class we performed a lab consisting of a Helmholtz pair and we need (to compare to experimental values) to model the magnetic field through a computer simulation. Most of the class is probably going to use MATLAB but I do not have it nor know how to use it. So in this case the teacher suggested I try using excel, which I also do not have much experience with. Like I can use excel to produce charts and graphs but when it comes to mathematical equations and what not I get sort of confused.

We are given the equation for the Riemann sum of the magnetic field at point r = (x,y,z). This equation is shown in the picture. We are supposed to calculate the magnetic field along the axis of the two rings and 20 cm above the axis of the two rings.

So my FIRST question(s) lays here:
Given the equation for the magnetic field in all directions (the equation shown is only only of three equations, x y and z components of the magnetic field however I am sure if I receive the help I need for one I can figure out the other two in the same manner) am I supposed to first put in all the values into cells. That meaning should I put the value for μ, I, a, θ, and Δθ into their own cells, and then have the Riemann sum containing the cells which are the values needed for the equation to be used properly in calculation?

Also should I break this sum into different components as well? Since the equation contains brackets such as [(acosθi)(z-z')] should each bracket (____) be its own cell so that the Riemann sum will be simplified by A1*A2?

Last one [for now] how would I get the sum to calculate the magnetic field for let's say n=50 partitions

Thanks for any help, I am sure once I get deeper into this lab report I will become more confused as well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
for some reason my attachment was uploaded sideways? Even though my picture is normal on my computer.

Break your long formulas up into bite-size pieces. Set up a table starting with the basic input like x,y,x, and θ and then set up formulas to do some of the intermediate calculations.

There are all kinds of books which show you how to use Excel, and there are tutorials on the internet if you can't get to a library. In order to learn how to use Excel or MATLAB, you've got to start out with small problems and work into more complex ones.

Related to Computer Simulation of Magnetic Field

What is computer simulation of magnetic field?

Computer simulation of magnetic field is a computational technique used to model and analyze the behavior of magnetic fields in a particular system or environment. It involves using mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the movement and interactions of charged particles within a magnetic field.

What are the benefits of using computer simulation for magnetic field?

Computer simulation allows for a more detailed and accurate understanding of the behavior of magnetic fields compared to traditional analytical methods. It also allows for the visualization of complex magnetic field structures and the ability to test different scenarios and parameters.

What types of systems can be simulated using computer simulation of magnetic field?

Computer simulation of magnetic field can be used to model a wide range of systems, from small-scale laboratory setups to large-scale planetary or astrophysical environments. It can also be applied to various types of materials, such as ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, and diamagnetic materials.

What are the limitations of computer simulation of magnetic field?

One limitation of computer simulation of magnetic field is the requirement for accurate and detailed input parameters. Inaccurate or missing data can lead to incorrect results. Additionally, the complexity and computational resources needed for simulating large-scale systems can be a limitation.

How is the accuracy of computer simulation of magnetic field validated?

The accuracy of computer simulation of magnetic field can be validated by comparing the simulated results with experimental data or analytical solutions. This helps to ensure that the simulation accurately reflects the real-world behavior of the magnetic field.