Computing Curvature of Space at Point from Mass - Help Needed

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in computing the spatial deformation caused by a stationary pointlike particle's gravitational field. They are not familiar with the equations involving tensor calculus and are hoping for clarification. They are interested in a ratio that shows the amount of scaling in space for each axis for an outside observer. The suggested solution is to use the Schwarzschild metric, specifically the ratio of proper radial distance to circumference difference, which is equal to the square root of 1 minus the ratio of Schwarzschild radius to distance. This ratio represents both time dilation and space curvature at distance r.
xortdsc
Hello,

given a stationary pointlike particle with mass m at some position, I'm trying to compute just how much space is curved/deformed at a distance r from that particle due to its gravitational field.

I'm not really into all that tensor calculus, so I really struggle with the equations given in literature. I hope someone here can clear things up a little.

If I understood that whole SR/GR good enough I'd think it should be possible to compute a (3d vector) field, which in my particular case is still only dependent on the particles mass and the distance from it, which holds the "ratio" of spatial deformation compared to uncurved space (absence of any energy/mass which therefore would yield 1 everywhere).
I'm particularly interested in this ratio, which basically tells me how much space "scales" for each axis for an outside observer.

Thanks and cheers !

Physics news on Phys.org
xortdsc said:
I'm particularly interested in this ratio, which basically tells me how much space "scales" for each axis for an outside observer.
Sounds like you are asking about the spatial part of the Schwarzschild metric.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_metric#The_Schwarzschild_metric

The ratio of proper radial distance to difference of circumferences divided by 2pi is (1 - rs/r)-1/2

Ah, so "sqrt(1-rs/r)" is simultaneously the time dilation ratio and space curvature ratio at distance r. Do I interpret this correctly ?

Related to Computing Curvature of Space at Point from Mass - Help Needed

1. What is the significance of computing curvature of space at a specific point?

Computing curvature of space at a specific point is important because it allows us to understand the local geometry of space. This can help us understand the effects of gravity, the shape of the universe, and the behavior of objects in space.

2. How is the curvature of space related to mass?

The curvature of space is directly related to the distribution of mass in that region. The more mass there is, the greater the curvature of space will be. This is because mass creates a gravitational field which warps the fabric of space.

3. What is the mathematical formula for computing curvature of space at a point?

The mathematical formula for computing curvature of space at a point is known as the Einstein field equations. This involves using the equations of general relativity to calculate the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of space at that point.

4. Can the curvature of space at a point be negative?

Yes, the curvature of space at a point can be negative. In fact, the curvature can vary in different directions at a single point, resulting in a negative, positive, or neutral overall curvature. This is known as the curvature tensor.

5. How does computing the curvature of space at a point help us understand the universe?

By computing the curvature of space at a point, we can gain insight into the overall geometry and structure of the universe. This can help us understand the expansion of the universe, the behavior of galaxies, and the overall shape of the cosmos.