Computing impulse response (help)

In summary, the impulse response $h[n]$ of the given LSI system can be directly computed from the difference equation, without the need for the z-transform.
steve910
I am trying to find the impulse response h[n] of a LSI system: y[n]+ay[n-1]=bx[n]-cx[n-1]. The way that I think to solve this problem is compute the z-transform, and from this H(z)=Y(z)/X(z). Then take the inverse z-transform to find h[n]. Is there another way to compute this? Also, for H(z) I get (b-cz^(-1))/(1-az^(-1)). I am having trouble taking the inverse z-transform of this... I can separate the numerator into 2 fractions but I'm not sure if the inverse z-transform of (cz^(-1))/(1-az^(-1)) = c*a^n*u[n-1]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help is appreciated!A:You can directly find the impulse response $h[n]$ from the difference equation, by using the fact that$$h[n]=y[n]\quad \textrm{for } n=0$$and$$h[n]=y[n]-ay[n-1]\quad \textrm{for } n\ge 1$$For the particular difference equation given by you, this results in$$h[n]=\begin{cases}\;b & \textrm{for } n=0\\ -c & \textrm{for } n=1\\ 0 & \textrm{else}\end{cases}$$

Related to Computing impulse response (help)

1. What is an impulse response in computing?

An impulse response in computing is the output of a system when an impulse (a short burst of energy) is applied as the input. It is a mathematical representation of how a system responds to a sudden change in input.

2. Why is it important to compute impulse response?

Computing impulse response is important for understanding and analyzing the behavior of a system. It can help in designing and optimizing systems, as well as in troubleshooting and diagnosing problems.

3. How is impulse response computed?

Impulse response is computed by applying an impulse input to a system and measuring the output. This process can be done manually using mathematical equations, or through computer simulations using specialized software or programming languages.

4. What are some applications of computing impulse response?

Computing impulse response has various applications in different fields such as signal processing, audio and video processing, control systems, and communication systems. It is also used in fields like acoustics, geophysics, and biomedical engineering.

5. What are some challenges in computing impulse response?

Some challenges in computing impulse response include accurately measuring and representing the system's response, dealing with noise and other disturbances, and choosing appropriate modeling techniques for complex systems. Additionally, the computation time and resources required for large systems can also be a challenge.