COMSOL _ frequency response of piezoelectric device

In summary, the author is trying to model the frequency response of a thin PZT disc using COMSOL, but is not sure how to calculate the impedance Z vs frequency. They defined the current density at the top electrode as I=-imag(nJ_smpz3d) and plotted V/I using the domain plot parameters in the postproc menu. This gave them a V/I vs freq plot, but V/I is not equal to Z. They should define I=nJ_smpz3d, rather than the imaginary part, to get the impedance. Additionally, they are not sure how to calculate Z, or the phase, and would like to know. If you have
luis_cam
Hi,

I'm trying to model the frequency response of a thin PZT disc using COMSOL, but I am not sure how to calculate the impedance Z vs frequency. I defined the current density at the top electrode as I=-imag(nJ_smpz3d) and then plotted V/I using the domain plot parameters in the postproc menu. This gives me a V/I vs freq plot, but V/I is not equal to Z!

Does anybody know how to calculate Z? And the Phase?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...

Did you compute the solution for the entire disc or did you make use of the symmetry and only compute the solution for a segment?

Last edited:
In fact I did both cases, the main difference is that when I used symmetries then defined the variable I as I=-imag(nJ_smpz3d)*N, where N is the number of segments contained in the whole disc, i.e., if a 10 deg segment then N=36. I obtained in both ases the same solution.

However the question still remains, and is: how do we, in either case, calculate Z? Is V/I = Z using the difinition above?? Or not? How do I use the current density to calculate Z? and the Phase? Is there a way of calculating Z without defining I?

luis_cam said:
In fact I did both cases, the main difference is that when I used symmetries then defined the variable I as I=-imag(nJ_smpz3d)*N, where N is the number of segments contained in the whole disc, i.e., if a 10 deg segment then N=36. I obtained in both ases the same solution.

However the question still remains, and is: how do we, in either case, calculate Z? Is V/I = Z using the difinition above?? Or not? How do I use the current density to calculate Z? and the Phase? Is there a way of calculating Z without defining I?
If you have set up your model correctly V/I should give you the impedance.

How have you defined the potential difference?

From the boundary settings dialogue box, I grounded the base of the disc and applied 1V to the top. The rest of boundaries are set at "zero charge/symmetry"
I am using the "frequency response" analysis, and I am varying the frequency from 3 to 4.5 MHz in steps of 0.02MHz (I expect the disc to resonate at around 3.8MHz since it is PZT 0.6 mm thick. I defined I at the top electrode as I=-imag(nJ_smpz3d)

Should I define I=nJ_smpz3d, rather than the imaginary part?
Are you sure Z=V/I, i.e., V/(-imag(nJ_smpz3d))? Do you know how do I find the phase?

Looking at the plot of the results I obtain, there is a resonance at around the right frequency (plus another one at 4.2MHz I don't know where it comes from...), but somehow does not look totally right: Z is flat and near 0 at frequencies lower that the resonance. Then I assume that my definition of I is giving me information about the resonance but Z is not well calculated...

Thanks!

if your imedance is zero at resonance, then it means you have not defined damping in your model. By defining damping you lower the Q *quality factor) and hence will provide you with the right resistance (impedance).

Good luck

Related to COMSOL _ frequency response of piezoelectric device

1. What is a piezoelectric device?

A piezoelectric device is a type of transducer that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. It is made of a material, such as quartz or certain ceramics, that is capable of generating an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress or vibrations.

2. How does COMSOL simulate the frequency response of a piezoelectric device?

COMSOL uses the finite element method to simulate the frequency response of a piezoelectric device. This method involves dividing the device into small elements and solving equations for each element to obtain the overall response of the device.

3. What factors affect the frequency response of a piezoelectric device?

The frequency response of a piezoelectric device can be affected by various factors, including the material properties of the device, the geometry and dimensions of the device, the type and magnitude of the applied load, and the surrounding environment.

4. Can COMSOL be used to optimize the frequency response of a piezoelectric device?

Yes, COMSOL can be used to optimize the frequency response of a piezoelectric device. By adjusting the material properties, geometry, and other parameters in the simulation, one can determine the optimal design for achieving the desired frequency response.

5. How accurate are the frequency response simulations in COMSOL for piezoelectric devices?

The accuracy of frequency response simulations in COMSOL for piezoelectric devices depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the device and the accuracy of the material properties and boundary conditions used in the simulation. Generally, with proper setup and calibration, COMSOL can provide accurate results for frequency response simulations.