Concentration of NaOH Solution: Calculation and Analysis

• Thread starter gt000
  • Start date
In summary: Good work!In summary, the student mixed 50.0mL of an NaOH solution with 100.0 mL of 0.400 M HCL, then added an excess of aqueous chromium (III) nitrate. This resulted in the formation of 2.06g of precipitate. Using the reaction equations, the student was able to determine that the concentration of the NaOH solution was 2 M.
gt000

Homework Statement

A student added 50.0mL of an NaOH solution to 100.0 mL of 0.400 M HCL. The solution was then treated with an excess of aqueous chromium (III) nitrate, resulting in formation of 2.06g of precipitate. Determine the concentration of the NaOH solution.

Homework Equations

pH=14-pOH

The Attempt at a Solution

NaOH + HCL -> NaCL +H2O
Cr(NO3)3 + HCL -> Cr(OH)3 + 3NaNO3

I'm not sure what to do after creating the equations. I tried to use the 2.06g and converting this to moles using the molar weight of 3NaNO3, but i think I'm not doing the right steps. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gt000 said:
Cr(NO3)3 + HCL -> Cr(OH)3 + 3NaNO3

You probably meant this...

Cr(NO3)3 + NaOH ---> Cr(OH)3 (s) + 3NaNO3 (aq)

Yea I forgot to put the solid and aqueous. I'm still not really sure what to do, but I'll try it again and see if i get an answer.

Look at the reaction equation now - what is the substance that precipitated and weights 2.06 g?

Cr(NO3)3 + 3NaOH ---> Cr(OH)3 (s) + 3NaNO3 (aq)

2.06g/103g = 0.02 mol Cr(OH)3
Cr(OH)3 * (1 mol NaOH/3 mol Cr(OH)3) = 0.0067 mol NaOH
Molary of NaOH =.0067 Mol/.05L = .133 M NaOH

I wrote the right equation this time. Here's my attempt, but I'm not sure if its correct.

You are partially right. First, your molar mass of chromium (III) nitrate is wrong. Second, you have calculated amount of excess NaOH that was left after it was partially neutralized with HCl, but you have neglected the neutralization.

Am I not suppose to use Chromium (III) Hydroxide's molar mass? Isn't that compound the one that has precipitated?

Ok so another attempt:
After I obtained .02 ml Cr(OH)3, I multiplied by 3 instead of dividing because the ratio is 3:1 not 1:3.
0.02 x 3 = 0.06 moles NaOH
Since there needs to be neutralization with excess:
0.1L x 0.4 M = 0.04 moles HCl.
NaOH and HCl both have the same ratio of 1:1.
0.06 moles + 0.04 moles = 0.1 moles
0.1 moles/0.05 L = 2 M NaOH.

gt000 said:
Am I not suppose to use Chromium (III) Hydroxide's molar mass? Isn't that compound the one that has precipitated?

Sorry, my mistake. You are OK this time.

FAQ: Concentration of NaOH Solution: Calculation and Analysis

What is concentration of solution?

Concentration of solution refers to the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) present in a given volume or mass of solvent (substance used to dissolve the solute).

How is concentration of solution measured?

Concentration of solution can be measured in various units such as molarity, molality, mass percent, and parts per million (ppm). The unit used depends on the type of solution and the information required.

What factors affect the concentration of a solution?

The concentration of a solution can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the amount of solute and solvent used. It can also be affected by the solubility of the solute in the solvent.

Why is knowing the concentration of a solution important in experiments?

The concentration of a solution is important in experiments because it determines the properties and behavior of the solution. It also affects the outcome of the experiment and the accuracy of the results.

How can the concentration of a solution be changed?

The concentration of a solution can be changed by adding more solute or solvent, or by reducing the amount of solute or solvent in the solution. It can also be changed by changing the temperature and pressure of the solution.

Back