Concept Design/Comic Project Help

In summary: What would be the practical limitations on this technology?How would you feel about living underwater?
Duckwagon
So I'm no physics expert, by no means.
But I'm working on a project that involves some weird physics elements, and I'd like it to be scientifically accurate; (if somewhat pseudo-scientific or liberally applied for flavor) and I'd like some feedback and help. The goal, in other words, isn't to be exactly scientifically accurate; but I'd like it to be close enough without destroying the flavor and setting and awesomeness...? If that makes sense. And I'll mainly be talking on points I don't quite understand.

Put basically, the premise is a world where there is a secondary, semi-liquid atmosphere where most life exists.
Chemically, it's the same as (or interacts as similarly as possible as) our normal gaseous atmosphere.
But mechanically, physically, it exists in a stable liquid state.
Codename: 'Misora', Japanese for 'Sea-Sky'

The effect I'm trying to produce is such that it's similar to living underwater, but it's breathable, burnable, similarly soluble, etc. But however I justify it, priority will probably go to how cool it is, and I prefer to fudge something a little if it just makes it unlivable. Because that's much less cool. Unexpected ramifications are bonus points.

There is also an outer gaseous atmosphere, but aside from being a little more volatile, less uv protection, etc. it's pretty much the same. Just enough that it's not quite as suitable for life; less moderate, more arid, etc. So I won't really explore that much yet. (Comes much later in the story, in other words.)

That make sense to you?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First topic:
Fundamental differences.

0) I need a name for this substance... it's getting tiring. My current code-name is 'Misora', the japanese word for sky-sea. But I don't like it as much.

1) It creates surface tension between both air and water, and is only dense enough to still be considered a liquid. This creates an effect with water sort of like decreased gravity; say, if you're ringing out a rag in space, it will create a bubble of water around the rag. In other words, it's just a titch 'stickier' to itself than you would see normally?
ISS_Hadfield_water_facecloth_lets_talk_science_curiocity.jpg

2015-02-10 13.27.53.jpg

And most gases soluble with air would similarly be soluble with misora; so most wouldn't appear as bubbles, or would dissolve into it as it rises.
2) The sky:
  • I see a deeper color shift happening over distance, as you'd see in water. I imagine more greenish, to deeper blue. I'd like it to be just far enough to make out the horizon, on a very clear day.
Fish-eye:
  • I also see a sort of 'fish-eye' effect, like you get when looking up underwater. Basically, where at anything beyond around 40 degrees light starts to bounce off of the surface of the water, creating a mirror effect; except for a circle above your head, which distorts the light so you can see the entire horizon from that point. (If it wasn't too distorted to make out, that is.)
    n_Arnold,_assigned_to_Mobile_Diving_and_Salvage_Unit_2,_snorkels_on_the_surface_to_monitor_multi.jpg
  • The difference here is that (a) it's less dense than water, (b) less opaque than water, and (c) you're looking up at a grand sphere, instead of a mostly flat surface. Because of this, the angle of reflection would be much wider, to the point where just above the color-shift haze on the horizon, you get a mirrored band, which on sunset/sunrise would reflect that light; or at night, might reflect more purely the moonlight, or reflective light from the surface. A shimmering, starry band, if you will.
    2015-02-10 13.58.03.jpg
  • As well, I can imagine with especially huge waves above you, you could also see a mirror ripple across the sky.
Other Cool Things:
  • You could see rainbows without rain, at the right angle. I'd imagine at high noon, you would see a big circle.
  • I imagine an aurora effect might be visible... Not due to solar flares, but rather due to what I imagine is basically a charged current. Say a saline-like current, that conducts or holds a charge better than normal misora?
Questions:
  • Would you be able to see stars, or other celestial objects? How would it affect your view of them?

Last edited:

Hey there! I'm not a physics expert either, but I find this concept really interesting. So if I understand correctly, you're looking to create a world where there is a secondary, semi-liquid atmosphere that is similar to our gaseous atmosphere in terms of chemical composition, but exists in a stable liquid state. And this atmosphere is where most life exists, similar to living underwater but still breathable and burnable.

One thing that comes to mind is the pressure of this semi-liquid atmosphere. Since it's in a liquid state, it would likely have a higher pressure compared to our gaseous atmosphere. This could have some interesting effects on the creatures and plants living in this atmosphere - maybe they have evolved to withstand higher pressures or have some kind of protective mechanism to prevent them from being crushed.

Another thing to consider is the density of this atmosphere. Since it's semi-liquid, it would likely be denser than our gaseous atmosphere. This could affect the way sound travels and how light is refracted, creating a unique environment for communication and perception.

As for the outer gaseous atmosphere, it could potentially have a protective role for the semi-liquid atmosphere, shielding it from harmful UV rays and providing a buffer against volatile elements. It could also play a role in the weather and climate of this world.

Overall, I think this concept has a lot of potential for creating a unique and intriguing world. It might take some creative liberties with the laws of physics, but as you mentioned, the priority is to make it cool and interesting. I'm excited to see where you take this idea!

Related to Concept Design/Comic Project Help

1. What is the purpose of concept design in a comic project?

The purpose of concept design in a comic project is to visually develop the ideas and concepts of the story, characters, and environments. It helps to establish the overall look and feel of the project and provides a visual guide for the artists and writers.

2. How can concept design help with storytelling in a comic project?

Concept design can help with storytelling in a comic project by providing a visual representation of the characters, setting, and important elements of the story. This helps to immerse the reader into the world of the comic and enhances the overall storytelling experience.

3. What are some key elements to consider in concept design for a comic project?

Some key elements to consider in concept design for a comic project include the overall theme and tone of the story, the personality and appearance of the characters, and the visual style and aesthetics of the environments and backgrounds.

4. What role do concept artists play in a comic project?

Concept artists play a crucial role in a comic project as they are responsible for creating the initial designs and visuals for the story, characters, and environments. They work closely with the writers and other artists to bring the project to life and ensure that the visuals align with the overall vision of the comic.

5. How important is collaboration in concept design for a comic project?

Collaboration is extremely important in concept design for a comic project. It allows for different perspectives and ideas to come together to create a cohesive and visually appealing project. Collaboration also helps to ensure that the concept designs accurately represent the story and its characters.