Concept Question - Understanding Momentum Conservation in Collisions

In summary, the conversation discusses a True/False question about momentum in an isolated system involving two gliders colliding on an air track. The answer is true, but the numbers used in the question are arbitrary and the conditions stated are irrelevant. The concept of conservation of momentum is key in understanding the solution.
LHC
Hello,

I have a question about momentum that showed up in my physics textbook. It's a True/False question, and I have the answer, it's just that I'm not sure how it works. Could someone please explain this to me? Many thanks.

|Glider 1|-----> <------|Glider 2|
-------------------------------------------
Air Track
-------------------------------------------

Statement: In an isolated system, two gliders (m1 = m2) on an air track move toward each other at equal speed, collide, and then move away from each other at equal speed.

Question (T/F): For this collision, if the change in momentum of glider 1 is -1.4 kg×m/s [W], then the change in momentum of glider 2 is 1.4 kg×m/s [W].

The answer is true.

I'm not sure how the numbers even got there. I recognize that they just happen to be [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex], so I'm assuming there's some type of calculation to be made with the formula for kinetic energy [tex]E_{k}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]. However, I just don't see how it works. I thought that the change in momentum was simply [tex]\Delta p=2mv[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
dont ask questions here...

Oh, ha, I'm so sorry. How foolish of me.

LHC said:
Oh, ha, I'm so sorry. How foolish of me.

a mentor will move this thread, so just relax and don't make a new one.

LHC said:
For this collision, if the change in momentum of glider 1 is -1.4 kg×m/s [W], then the change in momentum of glider 2 is 1.4 kg×m/s [W].

The answer is true.

I'm not sure how the numbers even got there.

Hi LHC! :smile:

They just made up the 1.4. :smile:

Hint: is momentum conserved in this collision?

what does that mean? :wink:

Ohhhh! I get it. Thanks!

The thing that's funny about this T/F question is that the stated conditions are completely irrelevant. From Newton's Third Law or conservation of linear momentum, the change in linear momentum (also called the impulse) of glider 1 would be equal in magnitude and opposite in sign (since this is a one-dimensional collision) to the change in linear momentum of glider 2. Thus, the total momentum change of the two-glider system is zero (or the total linear momentum remains constant). That will be true regardless of the relative masses and initial velocities of the two gliders.

FAQ: Concept Question - Understanding Momentum Conservation in Collisions

What is momentum and how is it defined?

Momentum is a physics concept that describes the quantity of motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In mathematical terms, momentum = mass x velocity.

What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum is the momentum of an object moving in a straight line, while angular momentum is the momentum of an object rotating around a fixed axis. Both are conserved quantities in a closed system.

How is momentum related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Momentum is directly related to Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia. According to this law, an object will stay in motion or at rest unless acted upon by an external force. Momentum is also used in Newton's Second Law, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration.

Why is momentum considered a vector quantity?

Momentum is considered a vector quantity because it has both magnitude and direction. This means that in addition to knowing how fast an object is moving, we also need to know the direction in which it is moving in order to fully describe its momentum.

How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction or event is equal to the total momentum after the interaction or event. This is known as the Law of Conservation of Momentum. This law holds true for both linear and angular momentum, and is a fundamental principle in physics.

Back