Conceptual Collision Question -- What

In summary, the solution for the velocity of Ball A after the collision is vaf = vao / (cosθ + sinθcotφ). This expression may seem strange as it shows that the velocity of Ball A is independent of the masses of Balls A and B. However, when considering the Law of Conservation of Linear Momentum, if Ball B has an initial velocity along the x-axis, the symmetry is restored and the masses do play a role in the final velocities. Therefore, the angle at which the balls move after the collision does take into consideration their masses, even though they may not seem to be directly included in the expression.
golf20
1. Question: Ball A of mass ma is traveling along the x-axis with velocity vao when it strikes Ball B of mass mb, which is at rest. After the collision, Ball A travels at an angle θ above the x-axis and Ball B travels at an angle φ below the x-axis. The final velocities of Balls A and B are vaf and vbf, respectively. Write an expression that gives the velocity of Ball A, vaf, after the collision.

2. Relevant Info: Law of Conservation of Linear Momentum

3. Solution: The expression I get for vaf is vao / (cosθ + sinθcotφ). I find this expression strange because it shows that vaf is independent of the masses of Balls A and B. However, the expression for vbf does include mass. I do not understand how this makes sense conceptually -- Could someone provide an explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
golf20 said:
1. Question: Ball A of mass ma is traveling along the x-axis with velocity vao when it strikes Ball B of mass mb, which is at rest. After the collision, Ball A travels at an angle θ above the x-axis and Ball B travels at an angle φ below the x-axis. The final velocities of Balls A and B are vaf and vbf, respectively. Write an expression that gives the velocity of Ball A, vaf, after the collision.

2. Relevant Info: Law of Conservation of Linear Momentum

3. Solution: The expression I get for vaf is vao / (cosθ + sinθcotφ). I find this expression strange because it shows that vaf is independent of the masses of Balls A and B. However, the expression for vbf does include mass. I do not understand how this makes sense conceptually -- Could someone provide an explanation?
Try letting B have an initial velocity vboalong the x axis. That should restore the symmetry. I think you will see then that when one initial velocity goes to zero the masses disappear from the after velocity of the other ball.
This does mot mean that the mass of the resting ball is immaterial. If you were to run the same experiment, just changing that mass, the departure angles would change.

My understanding is that the angle at which these bodies move after collision is actually taking into consideration, their mass. I'm not sure about this though.

Related to Conceptual Collision Question -- What

1. What is a conceptual collision question?

A conceptual collision question is a thought experiment that involves combining two or more seemingly unrelated concepts or ideas in order to explore new possibilities and challenge traditional ways of thinking. It often leads to abstract or philosophical discussions and can help generate new insights and perspectives.

2. How do conceptual collision questions contribute to scientific research?

Conceptual collision questions encourage scientists to think outside of the box and consider alternative perspectives, which can lead to breakthroughs and advancements in their respective fields. They also promote interdisciplinary collaboration and creativity, which are important aspects of scientific research.

3. Can anyone come up with a conceptual collision question or is it only for experts?

Anyone can come up with a conceptual collision question, as it does not require specialized knowledge or expertise. In fact, some of the most thought-provoking conceptual collision questions have come from individuals outside of the scientific community.

4. Are there any potential downsides to using conceptual collision questions in scientific research?

One potential downside is that it may lead to unrealistic or untestable ideas, which can divert resources and attention away from more practical and achievable research goals. It is important to balance the use of conceptual collision questions with more traditional research methods.

5. Can conceptual collision questions be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, conceptual collision questions can be used in any field that involves critical thinking and problem-solving. They can be particularly useful in fields such as philosophy, art, and technology, where creativity and innovation are highly valued.