Conceptual difficulty with faradays law

In summary, electrostatics is when the electric field does not change with time, magnetostatics is when the magnetic field does not change with time, and electrodynamics is when the electric and magnetic fields change with time.
DivergentSpectrum
As i understand, the induced current in a wire equals -d(∫∫B⋅dS)/dt
What is S? I know it has to be an open surface for the flux integral to be non-zero, but over what surface do i do the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
DivergentSpectrum said:
As i understand, the induced current in a wire equals -d(∫∫B⋅dS)/dt
That should be the induced EMF, not current.

DivergentSpectrum said:
What is S? I know it has to be an open surface for the flux integral to be non-zero, but over what surface do i do the integral?
Consider the surface bounded by the wire.

Likes DivergentSpectrum
Oh that's right the voltage not current (i don't know why they say emf is a force if its really a potential)
so the loop has to be closed then?

The loop has to be closed. In principle, you can use any open surface whose boundary is the loop in question. In practice, you use a surface that makes it easy to calculate the flux of ##\vec B##.

Likes DivergentSpectrum
Thanks that makes since I was just thinkin in terms of some general wire but I guess the circuit would have to be closed for you to attach a voltometer.

So if the circuit is open there is no voltage generated?

A changing magnetic field is associated with an electric field, according to Maxwell's equations: $$\vec \nabla \times \vec E = - \frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}$$ or $$\oint {\vec E \cdot d \vec l} = - \frac{d}{dt} \int {\vec B \cdot d \vec a}$$ The electric field in turn produces an emf along a specified path: $$\mathcal{E} = \int {\vec E \cdot d \vec l}$$ So I would say the emf exists because the electric field does, regardless of whether there is a wire along that path or not, or a voltmeter to measure it. In order to produce a steady-state current, you need a circuit, i.e. a closed loop of wire that electrons can travel along.

Likes DivergentSpectrum
jtbell said:
A changing magnetic field is associated with an electric field, according to Maxwell's equations: $$\vec \nabla \times \vec E = - \frac{\partial \vec B}{\partial t}$$ or $$\oint {\vec E \cdot d \vec l} = - \frac{d}{dt} \int {\vec B \cdot d \vec a}$$ The electric field in turn produces an emf along a specified path: $$\mathcal{E} = \int {\vec E \cdot d \vec l}$$ So I would say the emf exists because the electric field does, regardless of whether there is a wire along that path or not, or a voltmeter to measure it. In order to produce a steady-state current, you need a circuit, i.e. a closed loop of wire that electrons can travel along.
interesting... i wish the book i read had put it that way. i never even knew the curl of the electric field could be non-zero this really gives me a whole new perspective of what's going on here

DivergentSpectrum said:
i never even knew the curl of the electric field could be non-zero

You started with electrostatics in which ##\vec E## does not change with time, and magnetostatics in which ##\vec B## does not change with time. In those situations, ##\vec \nabla \times \vec E = 0## so ##\vec E## is a conservative field and you can define the electric potential. Now you're starting on electrodynamics (time-varying ##\vec E## and ##\vec B## fields) in which this is no longer the case.
Pretty soon you'll see Maxwell's Equations all together in their glory. :bow:

(This stuff was what made me decide to be a physics major, by the way!)

lol awesome i know relativity is up next so I am getting pretty excited

Related to Conceptual difficulty with faradays law

What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law, also known as Faraday's Electromagnetic Induction, states that when a magnetic field is changed, an electromotive force (EMF) is induced in a closed circuit. This phenomenon is the basis for many electrical technologies, such as generators and transformers.

What is the connection between Faraday's Law and electricity?

Faraday's Law explains the relationship between a changing magnetic field and the creation of an electric current. It states that when a conductor is moved through a magnetic field or when a magnetic field is changed, an EMF is induced in the conductor, leading to the flow of electric current.

What are some common conceptual difficulties with Faraday's Law?

One common difficulty is understanding the concept of a changing magnetic field and how it relates to the creation of an electric current. Another difficulty is comprehending the direction of the induced current, which is determined by the direction of the changing magnetic field and the orientation of the conductor.

How is Faraday's Law applied in real-world situations?

Faraday's Law is used in many practical applications, such as power generation, electric motors, and transformers. It is also used in technologies like magnetic levitation and magnetic braking. Additionally, it is the basis for technologies that use electromagnetic waves, such as radios and cell phones.

Can Faraday's Law be extended to other phenomena?

Yes, Faraday's Law can be extended to other phenomena, such as the production of light in fluorescent lamps and the production of sound in loudspeakers. It is also a fundamental principle in the study of electromagnetics and plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies.