Conceptual Question about Buoyancy

In summary, two objects of the same mass and volume are placed in freshwater and glycerine, respectively, and both float. The buoyant force acting on each object is the same, as it is equal to the weight of the object. However, if the objects were fully submerged in the fluids, the balance of the scales would not change as the displaced fluid does not escape from the buckets. The buoyant force on each submerged object would still be the same, as it is equal to the weight of the object.
jayadds
Say that I have two objects of the same mass and volume. I place one into freshwater and another in glycerine. In both cases, the objects are floating. Would the buoyant force from both of these fluids acting on the object be the same?

From my understanding, buoyant force measures the weight of an object if it's floating. Since both of the objects are of the same weight and are afloat , does it make sense to think that the buoyant force would be the same in the two situations?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jayadds said:
Say that I have two objects of the same mass and volume. I place one into freshwater and another in glycerine. In both cases, the objects are floating. Would the buoyant force from both of these fluids acting on the object be the same?
Yes.

Since the objects are floating, the buoyant force must equal the weight.

Note that the waterline on the hull will not be the same as the glycerin line. I.e. They will displace different volumes of fluid to get the same buoyant force.

Now imagine the two identical objects are not floating, but hanging on a scale like this:

waage_f1c.jpg

Your water and glycerin are in buckets standing on a scale like this:

scale.gif

Both scales are initially balanced. Then you submerge the objects into the buckets, and they do not float, but submerge fully (without touching the walls).

Does the balance of the scales change? If yes, how?

A.T. said:
Now imagine the two identical objects are not floating, but hanging on a scale like this:

waage_f1c.jpg

Your water and glycerin are in buckets standing on a scale like this:

scale.gif

Both scales are initially balanced. Then you submerge the objects into the buckets, and they do not float, but submerge fully (without touching the walls).

Does the balance of the scales change? If yes, how?

Hmm...that's a really good question. I would think that the balance of the scales would not change. This is because the displaced fluid from the fully submerged object does not escape from the buckets and thus, the mass in both of buckets remain equal when the objects are added. This is just my thinking though. Is this correct?

jayadds said:
Hmm...that's a really good question. I would think that the balance of the scales would not change. This is because the displaced fluid from the fully submerged object does not escape from the buckets and thus, the mass in both of buckets remain equal when the objects are added. This is just my thinking though. Is this correct?
Consider the buoyant force on each submerged mass. Is it the same for each?

jayadds said:
Try to figure out the upper scale first, where the objects hang, and consider what DocAl said.

Related to Conceptual Question about Buoyancy

1. What is the difference between buoyancy and weight?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. Weight, on the other hand, is the downward force exerted by gravity on an object. The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that is displaced by the object, while weight is a measure of the mass of an object.

2. How does the shape and volume of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape and volume of an object affect its buoyancy because it determines the amount of fluid it displaces. Objects that are more dense than the fluid they are submerged in will sink, while objects that are less dense will float. The shape of an object also affects its buoyancy, as objects with a larger surface area will experience more upward force from the fluid.

3. What is the role of density in buoyancy?

Density plays a crucial role in buoyancy as it determines whether an object will float or sink in a fluid. An object with a lower density than the fluid it is submerged in will experience a greater buoyant force, causing it to float. Conversely, an object with a higher density will sink as the buoyant force is less than the weight of the object.

4. Can an object be buoyant in a vacuum?

No, an object cannot be buoyant in a vacuum because buoyancy requires the presence of a fluid. In a vacuum, there is no fluid present to exert an upward force on the object, so it will simply fall due to the force of gravity.

5. How is buoyancy used in real-life applications?

Buoyancy has many practical applications, such as in shipbuilding and submarine design. It is also used in air and water transportation, as well as in the design of life jackets and other flotation devices. The concept of buoyancy is also important in understanding the water cycle and weather patterns.