Conceptual questions on proving identity element of a group is unique

In summary: Quite so.I guess my confusion has arisen because they most often don't state the proof of existence part first, i.e. there exists an element a which satisfies the properties of an identity. At this point one should then go on to show that any other element that satisfies these properties is equivalent to a and hence uniqueness follows.
"Don't panic!"
Hi,

I'm hoping to clear up a few uncertainties in my mind about proving that the identity element and inverses of elements in a group are unique.

Suppose we have a group [itex] \left(G, \ast\right)[/itex]. From the group axioms, we know that at least one element [itex]b[/itex] exists in [itex] G[/itex], such that [itex] a \ast b = b \ast a = a \quad \forall \; a\in G [/itex]. Let [itex] b,c \in G [/itex] be any two elements in [itex] G[/itex] satisfying [itex] a \ast b = b \ast a = a [/itex] and [itex] a \ast c = c \ast a = a \quad \forall \; a \in G[/itex]. We have then, that [tex] b= b \ast c = c [/tex] Hence, as [itex]b[/itex] and [itex] c[/itex] are arbitrary (other than satisfying the "identity property" stated above), the only way this can be true is if, in fact, there is only one, unique, identity element.

Is this correct?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, though it would be usual to start with the assumption that it is not unique, writing b ≠ c, then show b = c. Hence the identity is unique by reductio ad absurdum.

Ah ok, so it's a proof by contradiction then?

Is argument I gave for why, if any two elements, satisfying the properties of an identity element, are equivalent, then it must be that the identity element is unique, correct?

"Don't panic!" said:
Ah ok, so it's a proof by contradiction then?

Is argument I gave for why, if any two elements, satisfying the properties of an identity element, are equivalent, then it must be that the identity element is unique, correct?
Your argument was fine, except that you seemed to be struggling to word the final part of it. I certainly got the impression you weren't convinced it was valid. Recasting it as a proof by contradiction makes it more obviously right.

Yes, you're right. I thought I understood it, but then I read a text that does a proof by just assuming that [itex] a[/itex] and [itex] b[/itex] are both identity elements and then showing that [itex] a=b[/itex], and from this they conclude that the identity is unique. I was really just trying to justify why this is so in my mind?!
My thoughts on the matter were that if we know that [itex] a [/itex] is an identity element, then if we assume that [itex] b[/itex] is any other element that satisfies the properties of an identity, we find that in fact [itex] a=b [/itex], i.e. [itex] a[/itex] is the unique inverse.

Last edited:
"Don't panic!" said:
Yes, you're right. I thought I understood it, but then I read a text that does a proof by just assuming that [itex] a[/itex] and [itex] b[/itex] are both identity elements and then showing that [itex] a=b[/itex], and from this they conclude that the identity is unique. I was really just trying to justify why this is so in my mind?!
My thoughts on the matter were that if we know that [itex] a [/itex] is an identity element, then if we assume that [itex] b[/itex] is any other element that satisfies the properties of an identity, we find that in fact [itex] a=b [/itex], i.e. [itex] a[/itex] is the unique inverse.
Quite so.

I guess my confusion has arisen because they most often don't state the proof of existence part first, i.e. there exists an element [itex] a[/itex] which satisfies the properties of an identity. At this point one should then go on to show that any other element that satisfies these properties is equivalent to [itex] a[/itex] and hence uniqueness follows. Sorry for the recapitulation, I'm fairly new to the more formal approach and just want to check that I'm following the correct logical steps. Appreciate all your help!

Related to Conceptual questions on proving identity element of a group is unique

1. What is the definition of an identity element in a group?

The identity element of a group is an element that, when combined with any other element in the group, results in the same element. In other words, the identity element does not change the value of the element it is combined with.

2. Why is it important to prove that the identity element of a group is unique?

It is important to prove that the identity element of a group is unique because it ensures that there is only one element in the group that has this property. If there were multiple elements that acted as the identity element, it could lead to confusion and inconsistencies in the group's operations.

3. How do you prove that the identity element of a group is unique?

To prove that the identity element of a group is unique, you must show that there cannot be two different elements in the group that both have the properties of an identity element. This can be done by assuming there are two identity elements and then using the group's properties to show that they must be the same element.

4. Can the identity element of a group be any element in the group?

No, the identity element of a group must have specific properties in order to be considered as such. It must be an element of the group and satisfy the definition of an identity element, which is that it does not change the value of any other element when combined with it.

5. Does every group have an identity element?

Not necessarily. Some groups, such as the set of even integers under addition, do not have an identity element. In order for a group to have an identity element, it must satisfy certain properties, such as closure and invertibility.