Conditional Distribution of Multinomial Random Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditional distribution of a multinomial distribution and how it relates to a binomial distribution. The participants also mention attempting to use conditional probability and the standard method for computing the distribution. The possibility of using Poisson variables is also mentioned.
broegger
I've been staring at this for hours. Any hints?

Let the vector [tex]Y = (Y_1,Y_2,\dots,Y_k)[/tex] have a multinomial distribution with parameters n and [tex]\pi = (\pi_1,\pi_2,\dots,\pi_k)[/tex]:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{k}Y_i = n, \quad \sum_{i=1}^{k}\pi_i = 1[/tex]​

Show that the conditional distribution of [tex]Y_1[/tex] given [tex]Y_1+Y_2=m[/tex] is binomial with n = m and [tex]\pi = \frac{\pi_1}{\pi_1+\pi_2}[/tex].

I've tried to apply the definition of a conditional probability and sum over the relevant events in the multinomial distribution, but it gives me nothing.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, this works if they are Poisson. Not sure if it works if it is multinomial. The standard way to do this would be to compute P[X_1=x|X_1+Y_2=m], as you tried.

Edit: I should be more precise. If Y_1 and Y_2 poisson r.v. with paramaters lambda1 and lambda2, then Y_1 | Y_1+Y_2=m is distributed as Binomial(m, lambda1/(lambda1+lambda2)).

Last edited:

Related to Conditional Distribution of Multinomial Random Variables

What is a conditional distribution?

A conditional distribution is a probability distribution that only considers a subset of the population, based on a specific condition or criteria. It provides the probability of an event occurring within a specific subset of the population, given that the condition is met.

How is a conditional distribution calculated?

A conditional distribution is calculated by dividing the joint probability of two events by the probability of the condition being met. This can be represented mathematically as P(A|B) = P(A∩B) / P(B), where A represents the event of interest and B represents the condition.

What is the difference between a marginal distribution and a conditional distribution?

A marginal distribution considers the probability of an event occurring within the entire population, while a conditional distribution only considers the probability within a subset of the population based on a specific condition. In other words, a marginal distribution is the overall probability, while a conditional distribution is the probability within a specific group.

When is a conditional distribution useful?

Conditional distributions are useful when we want to understand the relationship between two variables while controlling for a third variable. It allows us to examine the probability of an event occurring within a specific group, while taking into account the influence of another variable.

How can conditional distributions be visualized?

Conditional distributions can be visualized using graphs or charts such as bar charts, histograms, or scatter plots. These visualizations can help us understand the relationship between variables and how it changes based on the condition being examined.