Conditional expectation (w/ transformation)

In summary, the conversation is about finding f(Y|X) and f(X,Y) for given independent exponential distributions U and V, where X = U + V and Y = UV. The speaker is having difficulty transforming U and V to X and Y and finding the Jacobian, and is unsure if the transformation is necessary. They also mention that solving for E(Y|X) would require finding f(Y|X).
island-boy
Any hints on how to solve for E(Y|X) given the ff:

Suppose U and V are independent with exponential distributions
[tex]f(t) = \lambda \exp^{-\lambda t}, \mbox{ for } t\geq 0[/tex]

Where X = U + V and Y = UV.

I am having difficulty finding f(Y|X)...
Also, solving for f(X,Y), I am also having difficulty transforming U and V to X and Y. I was able to define U and V to X and Y, but the terms are so complicated that its difficult to get the Jacobian.

So maybe, there's no need for transformation?

Help please. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ETA:
here's what I was able to get so far.

Since U and V are independent,
then f(U,V) = f(U)f(V)
thus
[tex] f(U,V) = \lambda^{2} \exp^{-\lambda (u+v)}, \mbox{ for } u\geq 0 v\geq 0 [/tex]

To solve for E(Y|X), I would need to find f(Y|X)
[tex]f(Y|X) = \frac{f(X,Y)}{f(X)}[/tex]

to get f(X,Y), I need to transform U and V to X and Y.
thus
[tex] f(X,Y) = \lambda^{2} \exp^{-\lambda (x)} |J| [/tex]
where J is the jacobian.

my rpoblem is in solving for the Jacobian.

Since X = U+V
and Y =UV

then either
[tex]U = \frac{2Y}{X+ \sqrt{X^{2} - 4Y}}[/tex]
[tex]V = \frac{X+\sqrt{X^{2} - 4Y}}{2}[/tex]

or
[tex]U = \frac{2Y}{X- \sqrt{X^{2} - 4Y}}[/tex]
[tex]V = \frac{X-\sqrt{X^{2} - 4Y}}{2}[/tex]

problem is, getting the Jacobian of U and V would result in a very complicated and long expresion.

so I was thinking, maybe, I don't need to do the transformation. If not. What should I do?

Thanks

Related to Conditional expectation (w/ transformation)

1. What is conditional expectation?

Conditional expectation is a statistical concept that represents the expected value of a random variable based on the information or conditions of another random variable. It is used to predict the outcome of a random variable when certain conditions are known.

2. What is the difference between conditional expectation and unconditional expectation?

The unconditional expectation is the expected value of a random variable without any prior knowledge or conditions, while the conditional expectation takes into account specific conditions or information about another random variable.

3. How is conditional expectation calculated?

Conditional expectation can be calculated using the formula E[X|Y] = ∫xfX|Y(x)dx, where E[X|Y] represents the conditional expectation, X is the random variable of interest, and Y is the known condition or information.

4. How does transformation affect conditional expectation?

Transformation affects conditional expectation by changing the distribution of the random variable. This can lead to a different conditional expectation value, as the transformation alters the relationship between the random variables and the conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of conditional expectation?

Conditional expectation has various applications in fields such as finance, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to predict stock prices based on market conditions, estimate the cost of insurance based on risk factors, and determine the optimal design of a product based on consumer preferences.