Conditional expectations related to count of event occurring kth time

psie
Homework Statement
Independent repetitions of an experiment are performed. ##A## is an event that occurs with probability ##p##, ##0<p<1##. Let ##T_k## be the number of the performance at which ##A## occurs the ##k##th time, ##k=1,2,\ldots##. Compute
(a) ##E(T_3\mid T_1=5)##,
(b) ##E(T_1\mid T_3=5)##.
Relevant Equations
I think the relevant distributions here are the geometric and negative binomial distributions, i.e. the number of trials until first success and the number of trials with ##n## successes respectively.
I am stuck at obtaining the joint pmf of ##T_3## and ##T_1##. It is clear I think that ##T_1\in\text{Ge}(p)##, where the pmf of ##T_1## is given by ##p(1-p)^{k-1}##, ##k=1,2,\ldots##. Now, the negative binomial distribution counts the number of trials with ##n## successes and with success probability ##p##. So I would say ##T_2## and ##T_3## are ##\text{NBin}(2,p)## and ##\text{NBin}(3,p)## respectively. I also know of the fact that ##\text{NBin}(n,p)## is just a sum of ##n## geometrically independent distributed random variables with success probability ##p##.

Yet I do not know how to find the joint pmf of ##T_1## and ##T_3##. If I can find that, then I have the conditional pmf of ##T_3## given ##T_1## and vice versa. Then I think I'd be able to solve both (a) and (b).

Also, this exercise does appear in a chapter on order statistics, and I notice that ##T_1\leq T_2\leq T_3##, so I'm curious if one could solve it using one of those methods as well (I think this is the way it's intended to be solved).

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I've worked out an answer. I am not 100% sure about my answer. Also, I am not using order statistics at all (perhaps there is some slick way of doing it using order statistics).

Anyway, for a), if we assume ##T_3\in \text{NBin}(3,p)##, then ##T_3=X_1+X_2+X_3## where ##X_i\in\text{Ge}(p)## are independent with expectation ##1/p##. I would guess e.g. ##X_1=T_1## and so \begin{align*}E(T_3\mid T_1=5)&=E(X_1+X_2+X_3\mid X_1=5)\\ &=E(5+X_2+X_3)\\ &=5+\frac2p.\end{align*} For b), we observe that ##E(X_1\mid X_1+\ldots+X_n=x)=\frac{x}{n}## if ##X_1,\ldots,X_n## are iid (for proof, see here). Then simply $$E(T_1\mid T_3=5)=E(X_1\mid X_1+X_2+X_3=5)=\frac53.$$

Likes nuuskur
b) is correct. It is enough to note that ## n E(X_i | S_n) = S_n ## for all ##i##. It's a routine check that sum of iid geometric variables is negative binomial.

side note: when making calculations, one should take care with the distribution of NB: do we count the number of trials until ##k## successes or the number of failures until ##k## successes.

Likes psie