Conditional probability drawing two balls from an urn.

In summary, the problem involves selecting two balls at random without replacement from an urn containing two orange and two blue balls. The goal is to find the probability of selecting an orange ball on the second pick, given that at least one orange ball was selected. The book's solution is 1/5, but the person asking the question initially suggests a solution of 1/3. The correct solution is found by considering all possible combinations of selecting orange and blue balls and the probability is determined using combinatorial notation. The correct solution is (2C2 + 2C1*2C1) / (4C2 + 2C1*2C1) = 1/5.
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

An urn contains four colored balls: two orange and two blue. Two balls are selected at random without replacemen, and you are told that at least one of them is orange. What is the probability that the other ball it orange?

Homework Equations

Now, we have been studying P(A|B) meaning the probability of A given the B has already happened.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, my book ends up with a solution of 1/5. But I have no idea how. I said since you know that one of the balls is definitely orange, then you have 3 balls to choose from. So if I want to do it technically (1C1) / (3C1) = 1/3 (C stands for the combination) . However, it's just a quite logical problem in my opinion.

So who is correct? Me or the book? Thanks! I would love to know how to get 1/5 if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is small enough to just do exhaustively. Suppose the orange balls are o1 and o2 and the blue balls are b1 and b2. There are six possible ways to draw, {o1,o2}, {o1,b1}, {o1,b2}, {o2,b1}, {o2,b2} and {b1,b2}. 4C2. In how many of them is at least one ball orange? In how many of them is the second ball also orange? Now write that in combinatorial notation so you know how to do the same problem with larger numbers.

Well I'm an idiot. Lol, I don't know why I didn't think of it in this way. I got the combinatorial notation as (1C1)(2C0)/(5C1)

Thanks for your help!

Hodgey8806 said:
Well I'm an idiot. Lol, I don't know why I didn't think of it in this way. I got the combinatorial notation as (1C1)(2C0)/(5C1)

Thanks for your help!

That works numerically, but I don't see the logic. Where did 5C1 come from?

Well, I just said (5c1) is the ways in which we can choose a set from 5 different sets. Another I have been doing problem is to say that I was say wanting the double orange set on the 2nd try. So I changed the combinatoric formula to [(1C0)(4C1)/(5C1)]*(1/4)

This is read as not choosing the double orange*choosing 1 from the orange-blue combination(remember that we are at the given that there must be at least one orange) divided by the number of combinations possible of choosing 1 from the set of all possibilities. And then I multiply by the probability that the 2nd position get the double orange. This method had been working on a few other problems with that kind of description. It seem to work for me. If I am wrong though, please help me :) Thank you very much for your input!

There is only one way to choose 2 orange balls, right? That's 2C2. Now how many ways to choose 1 orange ball? It's 2C1*(the number of ways to choose one blue ball), also ok? Can you fill it in from here? You are going to have to ADD the number of ways to pick 2 orange balls to the number of ways to pick 1 orange ball to get the number of ways of picking AT LEAST 1 orange ball.

Related to Conditional probability drawing two balls from an urn.

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is denoted as P(A|B), where A is the event of interest and B is the given event.

2. How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated using the formula P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where P(A and B) is the probability of both events A and B occurring and P(B) is the probability of event B occurring.

3. What is the difference between conditional and unconditional probability?

Conditional probability takes into account the occurrence of a specific event, while unconditional probability is the probability of an event occurring without any prior knowledge or conditions.

4. How is conditional probability used in drawing two balls from an urn?

In drawing two balls from an urn, conditional probability can be used to determine the likelihood of drawing a particular color ball in the second draw, given that a ball of a certain color was drawn in the first draw. This can be calculated using the formula P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where A is the event of drawing a specific color ball in the second draw, and B is the event of drawing a particular color ball in the first draw.

5. How does the number of balls in the urn affect the conditional probability?

The number of balls in the urn can affect the conditional probability in two ways. Firstly, with a larger number of balls, the probability of drawing a specific color ball in the first draw decreases, which in turn affects the conditional probability in the second draw. Secondly, if the number of balls of a specific color is known, it can be used in the calculation of the conditional probability.