Conditional Probability, Failure of Concrete Beam

In summary, the failure probability of a concrete beam due to flexure is 16.67%, given that the overall failure probability of the beam is 20%. This is calculated using the conditional probability equation and the given information about the failure probabilities in shear and flexure.
Terp

Homework Statement

A concrete beam my fail by shear or flexure. The failure probability in shear is equal to the failure probability in flexure, and the probability of failure in shear when the beam is loaded beyond is flexure capacity (ie, it has already failed in flexure) is 80%. Find the failure probability of the beam in flexure, given that that the probability of failure of the beam is 0.2.

Homework Equations

P(A | B) = P(A [tex]\cap[/tex] B) / P(B) (conditional probability equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started out by giving everything that's known:

P(Failure) = 0.2 ==> P(Failure Shear [tex]\cup[/tex] Failure Flexure) = 0.2
P(Failure Shear) = P(Failure Flexure)
P(Failure Shear | Failure Flexure) = 0.8

What I want to do is plug into the above equation, P(A | B) = P(A [tex]\cap[/tex] B) / P(B), since this seems to be a conditional probability problem. Plugging in:

0.8 = 0.2 / P(Failure Flexure) -> P(Failure Flexure) = 0.25 = 25%

However, I don't believe this is correct because I believe the 0.2 given is P(Failure Shear [tex]\cup[/tex] Failure Flexure), not P(Failure Shear [tex]\cap[/tex] Failure Flexure). I believe this because the 0.2 means probability of failure due to shear *or* flexure, which signifies union, not shear AND flexure, which signifies intersection.

Could anybody steer me in the right direction? This is probably a very elementary problem but probability has never really 'clicked' with me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have gotten an answer...but I'd like some confirmation of my work if you guys wouldn't mind.

First off,
S = Shear
F = Flexure

P(S [tex]\cup[/tex] F) = 0.2
P(S | F) = 0.8

P(S [tex]\cup[/tex] F) = P(S) + P(F) - P(S [tex]\cap[/tex] F)
P(S [tex]\cup[/tex] F) = P(S) + P(F) - P(S | F)P(F) (conditional probability property)
P(S [tex]\cup[/tex] F) + P(S | F)P(F) = P(S) + P(F)

Dividing through by P(F) on the left,

P(S [tex]\cup[/tex] F)/P(F) + P(S | F) = 1 + 1, since P(F)=P(S)

Therefore, plugging in and solving:

0.2/P(F) + 0.8 = 2

Solving for P(F), I get 16.67%. Any checking of my work would be great. Thanks :).

Last edited:

Your approach is correct, but you are correct in your assessment that the 0.2 given is the probability of failure due to either shear or flexure, not both. This means that it represents the union of the two events, not the intersection.

To find the probability of failure in flexure, we need to use the formula P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B). In this case, A represents failure in shear and B represents failure in flexure. We know that P(A) = P(B) and P(A \cap B) = 0.8P(B), so we can plug these into the formula to get:

0.2 = 2P(B) - 0.8P(B)
0.2 = 1.2P(B)
P(B) = 0.2/1.2 = 1/6 = 16.67%

So the failure probability of the beam in flexure is 16.67%. Hope this helps!

Related to Conditional Probability, Failure of Concrete Beam

1. What is conditional probability in the context of the failure of a concrete beam?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring, given that another event has already occurred. In the case of a concrete beam, it refers to the probability of it failing, given that certain conditions or factors have already been met.

2. What are some common factors that can affect the conditional probability of a concrete beam failing?

Some common factors that can affect the conditional probability of a concrete beam failing include the quality of materials used, the design and construction methods, environmental conditions, and the amount of stress or load placed on the beam.

3. How is conditional probability used in the design and testing of concrete beams?

In the design and testing of concrete beams, conditional probability is used to determine the likelihood of failure based on various factors and scenarios. This helps engineers and scientists make informed decisions about the construction and safety of the beam.

4. Can conditional probability be used to predict the exact failure point of a concrete beam?

No, conditional probability cannot be used to predict the exact failure point of a concrete beam. It can only provide a likelihood or probability of failure based on certain conditions and factors.

5. How can the failure of a concrete beam be prevented using conditional probability?

By using conditional probability, engineers and scientists can identify and address potential risk factors that may lead to the failure of a concrete beam. This allows for more effective design and construction methods to be implemented, reducing the probability of failure.