Conditional Probability problem

In summary: WduYXRpb24sIEkgaGVhcmRvbiB0byBjYWxjdWxhdGUgUF9CKGRldmVsb3BtZW50KSByZXBvcnRzIHBhcnQgQihkZXZlbG9wZWQpIFBCKFAsZGV2ZWxvcGVkKSBaZXJvIFBCKFAsZGV2ZWxvcGVkKSBaZXJvIFBCKFAsZGV2ZWxvcGVkKSBaZXJvIFBhcnQgQihkZXZlbG9wZWQpIF
lina29

Homework Statement

A manufacturer of scientific workstations produces its new model at sites A, B, and C; 20% at A, 35% at B, and the remaining 45% at C. The probability of shipping a defective model is 0.01 if shipped from site A, 0.06 if from site B, and 0.03 if from site C.

A- What is the probability that a randomly selected customer receives a defective model?
B- If you receive a defective workstation, what is the probability that it was manufactured at site B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For A I got .0365 which was correct but I'm stuck on part B. My assumption was that I had to find P(B|DB) where DB is being from site B and defective so I would use the equation
P(B^DB)/P(DB) I just don't know how I'm supposed to find P(B|DB) when I don't know what P(B^DB) is

Physics news on Phys.org
lina29 said:

Homework Statement

A manufacturer of scientific workstations produces its new model at sites A, B, and C; 20% at A, 35% at B, and the remaining 45% at C. The probability of shipping a defective model is 0.01 if shipped from site A, 0.06 if from site B, and 0.03 if from site C.

A- What is the probability that a randomly selected customer receives a defective model?
B- If you receive a defective workstation, what is the probability that it was manufactured at site B?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For A I got .0365 which was correct but I'm stuck on part B. My assumption was that I had to find P(B|DB) where DB is being from site B and defective so I would use the equation
P(B^DB)/P(DB) I just don't know how I'm supposed to find P(B|DB) when I don't know what P(B^DB) is
You should just be calculating P(B|defective). The condition shouldn't specify where it came from. Think about it. If it's given that the workstation is defective and from site B, the probability it came from B is 1.

I'm confused are you saying I should be calculating
P(B|defective)= P(B^D)/P(D)=(.0365*.35)/(.0365)=.35 (which was counted wrong)
OR
that the probability is 1 which I don't get since the condition does specify that probability and there's not 100% chance it came from B since A & C have defective models also

Last edited:
Never mind I figured it out. Thanks!

lina29 said:
I'm confused are you saying I should be calculating
P(B|defective)= P(B^D)/P(D)=(.0365*.35)/(.0365)=.35 (which was counted wrong)
OR
that the probability is 1 which I don't get since the condition does specify that probability and there's not 100% chance it came from B since A & C have defective models also

[tex] P(B \cap D) = P(D \cap B) = P(D|B) P(B). [/tex]

RGV

Related to Conditional Probability problem

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring, given that another event has already occurred. It takes into account additional information or conditions that may affect the outcome of an event.

2. How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the probability of the joint occurrence of two events by the probability of the occurrence of the first event. This can be represented as P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where P(A|B) is the conditional probability of event A given event B has occurred.

3. What is the difference between conditional and unconditional probability?

The main difference between conditional and unconditional probability is that conditional probability takes into account additional information or conditions, while unconditional probability does not. Unconditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring without any prior knowledge or conditions.

4. Can conditional probability be greater than 1?

No, conditional probability cannot be greater than 1. This is because the probability of an event occurring can never be greater than the probability of the event occurring given that another event has already occurred. Therefore, the maximum value of conditional probability is 1.

5. How is conditional probability used in real life?

Conditional probability is used in many real-life situations, such as weather forecasting, medical diagnosis, and risk assessment. It helps us make more accurate predictions and decisions by taking into account additional information or conditions that may affect the outcome of an event.